Concerning spiritual gifts and herbal healing: Do some people really feel these are evil in and of themselves?

As a Catholic Christian I know that there are many spiritual gifts. Indeed many of our greatest saints were blessed with these. I know of others as well. Also in the Catholic Bible we have scriptures as to the use of herbs for medicine and healers. We do not call these evil. Do some of you?

Peace Be With You,

Debra

Ezekial 47:12 And by the torrent on the banks thereof on both sides shall grow all trees that bear fruit: their leaf shall not fall off, and their fruit shall not fail: every month shall they bring forth firstfruits, because the waters thereof shall issue out of the sanctuary: and the fruits thereof shall be for food, and the leaves thereof for medicine

• Marie
    Best Answer

Herbs have been around since the Garden of Eden. Herbs are not evil. In fact, God put them here to help us. My grandmother often used herbs to heal her family and friends. Many modern medicines are made from herbs. My grandmother came here in 1912.Before the age of antibiotics and other modern day medicines. She told us that in the "old country" their very existence depended on knowing how to heal every day injuries. Remember, people could die from a cut that was infected before antibiotics. The knowledge of herbal medicine was crucial to people back in her day. She was very knowledgeable about the practical application of herbs in medicine. She was also Catholic. People with spiritual gifts are NOT evil.

Peace!

• Holly

I think people who truly have these abilities are gifted, except for intuition. Everyone has that. None of these are evil. Intuition: Natural human ability; probably tied to the survival instinct. Prophecy: Definitely spiritual; the ability to see world events or the future of a number of people; the revelation is directly from the Higher Power. Predicting the future: Could be spiritual or a natural ability, depending on the person. This would include both prophecy and fortune-telling, IMO, and could be based on psychic abilities, or an actual revelation from God. Fortune-telling: This is both spiritual and natural, depending on the person. The fortune-teller needs some other object to perform the "telling", such as a deck of cards or runes, etc. Therefore, I would say this is probably spiritual in most cases, as there seems to be cooperation from some outside supernatural source. The fortune-teller is not a prophet. Psychic abilities: There are different forms of this, and I believe it is a natural talent. A person has developed (or was lucky enough to have been born that way) parts of the brain that the average person doesn't use. Religion: Christian spiritualist

• ;)

Hi Debra, God's word "And the leafs of the trees are for healing" what other authority do we need?

Having lived with health problems for around 35 yrs i've used many herbal and Homoeopathic treatments over the yrs, and found healing to be more than i can express.

The fear of it being involved in witchcraft is deeply ingrained in the church, and i think some people get this confused with herbal remedies. I know people who wouldn't go near some of the complimentary treatments i've had, and that's ok - but i know what's worked for me - and as a famous person once said "Never judge a man till you've walked two moons in his moccasins" : )

It's important to find a trusted practitioner - i don't mean they have to be Christian - but it's important to know what the person is involved with.

So no, herbs are not evil.

God bless and keep you sister x

Ecclesiastes (Sirach) 38 1:15

Honor the physician with the honor due him,

According to your need of him, for the Lord created him;

for healing comes from the Most High,

and he will receive a gift from the king.

The skill of the physician lifts up his head,

and in the presence of great men he is admired.

The Lord created medicines from the earth,

and a sensible man will not despise them.

Was not water made sweet with a tree

in order that his power might be known?

And he gave skill to men

that he might be glorified in his marvelous works.

By them he heals and takes away pain;

the pharmacist makes of them a compound.

His works will never be finished;

and from him health is upon the face of the earth.

My son, when you are sick, do not be negligent,

but pray to the Lord, and he will heal you.

Give up your faults and direct your hands aright,

and cleanse your heart from all sin.

Offer a sweet-smelling sacrifice, and a memorial portion of fine flour,

and pour oil on your offering, as much as you can afford.

And give the physician his place, for the Lord created him;

let him not leave you, for there is need of him.

There is a time when success lies in the hands of physicians,

for they too will pray to the Lord that he should grant them success in diagnosis

and in healing, for the sake of preserving life.

He who sins before his Maker

may he fall into the care of a physician.

+- 180 B.C.

• ?

They are definitely not evil. Herbalists, especially women, healed and comforted many with their gifts before the age of pharmaceuticals. And many drugs come from plant extracts.

Yes, they can be abused, but so can anything else. Those who use their gifts rightly should not be punished for that.

well 1 corinthians chap 14 talks of spiritual gifts including healing, prophecy, tongues, etc.... if they are of the holy spirit, they aren't evil.

my mother is wise in most things. she has always said, "if you feel you have a gift of some kind, pray to god and say, 'if this gift is of you, amplify it within me, and if it is not of you, then take it away completely.'"

i practice herbal healing (among some other slightly more objectionable things. or should i say more misunderstood things?) and i don't think it's evil in the least, though some of my more strictly christian friends might think so. but i do know of prophets in churches in my town who will know your life story the first time they are introduced to you.... very uncanny but definitely holy.

Source(s): i'm catholic too.

God created us all differently and allows us many abilities to reach out to those whom are shy in some way, or differ from others.....for healing in many ways, teach in different ways to reach those whom are different, everything is possible with God, even some of us learn from spirits, that we in return encourage others, We all are gifted in some sensitive way to reach, teach, heal, comfort others and so many more.

Inhaling the leaves of life, healing of a nation....have you heard something of this effect before?

I don't find them evil at all. But I have met people who insist if it doesn't come from a doctor and in pill form, it is evil and poison.

Ignorance at it's finest - they don't even realize that many medicines are herbal based.

This is one of the basic tenets of God's dream for us:

To have children

To alleviate the suffering of the afflicted

To grow great gardens.

Anything that gets in the way of that dream is evil.

• Everything that God has created is GOOD (Genesis 1), without exception. Herbal remedies and the like stand in that vein, unless I'm mistaken...?