promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
anne q asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

i want to get a scottish terrier???

can you tell me their character and if theyre a good dog to have for an apartment. any advice will be great.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

it all depends on what your looking for.... here's some key facts... may be alot but you have to look at every lil aspect...

Size

Height at withers for both sexes should be roughly ten inches, and the length of back from withers to tail is roughly eleven inches. Generally a well-balanced Scottie dog should weigh from 19-22 pounds and a female from 18-21 pounds.It is about 11-15 inches in height

Coat

The Scottie typically has a hard, wiry, long, weather-resistant outer coat and a soft dense under coat. The coat is typically trimmed and blended, with a longer coat on the beard, eyebrows, legs and lower body — traditionally shaggy-to-the-ground. The head, ears, tail and back are traditionally trimmed short.

When grooming a Scottie, they are prone to aggression when their feet are touched, especially the back ones. At such an attempt, you will see most tense up and threaten to bite.

Temperment

Scotties, like most terriers, are alert, quick and feisty — perhaps even more so than other terrier breeds.[6] The breed is known to be independent and self-assured, playful, intelligent and has been nicknamed the 'Diehard' because of its rugged nature and endless determination.

Although black is the most traditional colour for a Scottie, wheaten Scotties can also be found, as shown in this picture of a Scottie puppy.Scotties, while being very loving, can also be particularly stubborn. Because the breed is inclined to be stubborn, it needs firm, gentle handling from an early age or it will dominate the household. They are sometimes seen as an aloof breed, although it is actually very loyal to its family and they are known to attach themselves to one or two people in their pack. The breed has been described as tempestuous, but also quite sensitive. So, basically, your Scotty will generally attach itself to the person which gives it the most attention when it is a puppy.

The Scottish terrier makes a good watchdog due to its tendency to bark only when necessary and because it is typically reserved with strangers — although this is not always the case and it is important to remember that all dogs differ. It is a fearless breed that may be aggressive around other dogs unless introduced at an early age.

Scottish Terriers were originally bred to hunt and fight badgers. Therefore, the Scottie is prone to dig as well as chase small vermin, such as Squirrels, rats, mice and foxes. For this reason it is recommended that they are walked on a leash.

Health

Scottish Terriers have a greater chance of developing some cancers than other purebreds. According to research by the Veterinary Medical Data Program (1986), six cancers that Scotties appeared to be more at risk for (when compared to other breeds) are: (in descending order) bladder cancer and other transitional cell carcinomas of the lower urinary tract; malignant melanoma; gastric carcinoma; squamous cell carcinoma of the skin; lymphosarcoma and nasal carcinoma. Other cancers that are known to commonly affect Scotties include mast cell sarcoma and hemangiosarcoma.

Research has suggested that Scottish Terriers are 20 times more likely to get bladder cancer than other breeds and the most common kind of bladder cancer is transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder (TCC). Dr. Deborah Knapp of Purdue University School of Veterinary Medicine has commented "TCC usually occurs in older dogs (average age 11 years) and is more common in females (2:1 ratio of females to males)." Symptoms of TCC are blood in the urine, straining to urinate, and frequent urination — although owners noticing any of these symptoms should also be aware that the same symptoms may also be indicative of a urinary tract infection. Veterinary assistance should be sought, and an ultrasound should be requested to confirm.

The most common and effective form of treatment for TCC is Piroxicam, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug that "allows the cancer cells to kill themselves." In order to help prevent cancer in a dog, an owner should ensure that their dog has minimal exposure to herbicides, pesticides, solvents and cigarette smoke; use caution when treating dogs with some flea medications; provide a healthy, vitamin-rich diet (low in carbohydrates, high in vegetables) and plenty of exercise.

Two other genetic health concerns in the breed are von Willebrand disease (vWD) and craniomandibular osteopathy (CMO); Scottie cramp, patellar luxation and cerebellar abiotrophy are also sometimes seen in this breed. Scottish Terrier owners are advised to have DNA tests performed to screen for von Willebrand's disease. Scotties typically live between 11 and 13 years

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Pal
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Like all terriers they have a high energy level. They are great family pets but have an oily undercoat that can get smelly. That said, if you can take it for enough walks and runs everyday and deal with the doggy odor, more bathing just makes it worse, the oil is there to keep water and dirt off their skin, I think you will do fine. I would get in touch with a rescue organization that specializes in Scotties or contact a breeder where you can go to meet both adult dogs and puppies and I would take home an adult dog rather than have my first experience include the chewing and housebreaking stages.

• 1 decade ago

I have a one year old male scottish terrier. He needs a lot of exercise daily and will chase a ball all night. If you don't have a big apartment, I'd probably suggest you wait to get a scottish terrier. They are such loving and devoted dogs and if socialized properly - they will get along with anyone. One word of caution- they can be stubborn and their feelings hurt easily so if you do plan on getting one- please have enough time in your life to take care of it. They won't do well if you leave them for longer than 5 hour's a day and you'll need to leave a big chunk of your evening to spend time with them as well!

Source(s): Myself
  • 1 decade ago

theyre not good for apartements

as terriers theyre loud, and very rumbuntious aswell as energetic. not at al like the 'Lady in the Tramp' Jock dog.

Theyre quite gentlmanyl..but can be fierce. a better dog for an apertement is a chihuahua..most are quite clever.. poodles can be good too.

Japanese terriers are also good for apartements

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • eager
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

i'd propose a head lead, sturdy short leash, harness, and corrective treats. canines that are aggressive in the direction of different animals are fairly purely exhibiting an apprehension. The canines needless to say has problems with different animals, it may no longer have been with its muddle acquaintances long sufficient, it could have been attacked by ability of yet another canines in the past she have been given it, or the breeder purely did no longer socialize it with different litters. something is plausible. the main suitable approach that i've got EVER seen on canines aggressive canines is taking them to a place the place canines are VERY well known and surrounding. Leash/harness/head lead the canines and walk the canines. whilst it starts to bark or growl, redirect the attention to a fave toy or manage. Do it each and each time the canines starts to act up. at last, the canines will affiliate a canines coming by ability of to a advantages. The canines needs to nicely known the different canines, yet he needs to ignore approximately them quickly after. And redirection and distraction are a thank you to flow. solid success! upload: Jessay, you're getting TD's with the aid of fact which you're advocating putting a canines-aggressive-canines in a difficulty the place it may injury yet another canines or be heavily injured itself. This canines isn't the widely used D-A-D, its sparkling that a petsmart coach (whilst i do no longer down them, as i'm one) won't have the journey to coach.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.