Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 decade ago

Have you kept old love letters?

Would you share them with a partner who was not the author?

What is going to happen if people no longer write them thanks to this invention?

Will they be missed?

Favorite Answer

I spent 20 years in the U.S. Navy and every time I was deployed (several weeks to Japan before my wife joined me, 13 months in Antarctica, 12 months in the Middle East, 6 months in the South Indian Ocean, and 6 months in the Mediterranean), my wife wrote to me often, and I wrote to her often. We have 2 boxes of letters in the closet. PAPER letters.

It's sad that these women and men don't write REAL letters but depend on E-mail. How often does E-mail get deleted? They won't be able to share grandpa's letters with their grand kids. They won't be able to sit and re-read the words written with love if the husband dies first. My mother had letters wrapped in a ribbon in her closet written by my dad while he was in Europe during WW2. A lot of that will be lost because of E-mail.

I've heard women complain if their husband in Iraq doesn't E-mail her every day or doesn't call her once a week. When I was deployed, mail took 10 - 14 days one way. Phone calls? Too expensive when we did pull into port. In Antarctica (1972-73) we got no mail for over 6 months. And only a 'ham-gram' with 100 words max ever week...IF the ham radio stations could get through. We had no radio contact for several weeks one time because of sun spot activity.

Yup. it's sure sad that people don't write REAL letters much any more.

I kept all of mine in a draw, I am single so they always boost up my confidence. I don't share them with a guy who isn't the author, that's rude.

Only from my husband. The others are from a time past and no longer important to me. I have memories and that's enough

• doxie

I kept them for a while. i used to like reading them from time to time, you know good for the ego. I think if they are no longer written they will be missed.

I don't have any old love letters but I have some poems an old boyfriend wrote me but my husband has no idea I have them and I plan to keep it that way!

I still have love letters that my ex wrote to me. It was a special time in our lives. I prefer handwriting, stamped letters that showed someone care enough to send. An e-mail love letter? Yuk

I did keep some but not too long after I turned 18.

I didn't keep any once I got married.

Kinda wished I did -- I mean, I had a life that I was living -- so why not keep the mementoes of it?

• Reese

I kept them, for about 25 years, then I felt I should get rid of them, for my husbands sake...only fair...

but I have some poems an old boyfriend wrote me but my husband has no idea I have them and I plan to keep it that way!