Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

Why are older POPULAR rock bands more acceptable than NEWER ... ?

..Popular rock bands.

I've never understood this.

Beatles were an immmmensely popular band with screaming girl fans.. They are accepted as music that is good.

MCR is also a modern day popular band with crazy fans.. But they are not acceptable (mostly on RnP)

Some people say that Beatles were actually talented in writing music.. MCR not.

But people don't understand that its not SIMPLE writing catchy songs. As a musician myself i respect all bands that come up with music.. It's not as easy as it seems to come out with simple catchy music.. MCR's music isnt simple anyhoo. Good solos and chord progression.

So what other reasons are there for OLDER popular bands are more acceptable?

And could you explain?

Sarah - i meant dead popular.. The most popular around

Popular BANDS nowadays ALSO influence a new generation.. So tahts banned :)

The Beatles were considered Hearththrobs in their days...

Favorite Answer

I think sheer numbers might have something to do with it. The Beatles came out when the Baby Boomers were coming of age, but when there were relatively fewer really good bands out there. More people + less bands = more popularity per band than less people + more bands.

Edit: Add into that the unifying force of a common experience. Today, news of new talent has many different modes of travel - YouTube, Rolling Stone mag, countless radio stations, forums like this. Back then, everybody saw The Beatles on that Sunday evening on the Ed Sullivan show - all across the nation at the same time. One tsunami vs. lots of little wavelets.

Well, The Beatles WERE talented in writing music. Take a listen to Abbey Road -- each song fits into one another so well. I like to think of that album as like a classical symphony with many movements in between. The White Album produced some of the most creative songwriting I've ever heard. You just can't compare it. I've actually never heard of MCR, but I won't discredit them (nothing against them, I just don't listen to a lot of newer music). I'm sure they are extrememly talented, but I think I can answer your question.

The Beatles were huge because they came out at a time when rock n roll was a very new type of music. Many bands that came out in the 60's and 70's are legendary because they were inventive. There was nobody like The Beatles before them. There was nobody like Led Zeppelin before them. You get the idea. People were listening to music they never really heard before, and they went CRAZY over it. That's why they still stand out today -- because they were the first. Bands of today are more or less influenced by music of the past, and sometimes that results in music that isn't as interesting because it's not a very new sound. I give current musicians a lot of props, though. It's not easy to come out with something new after all these years of great rock music.

Well for one thing, the Beatles broke down musical barriers. Sgt. Peppers was probably one of the first concept albums to break into mainstream and hell did it break!

And there are mainstream popular bands today that are accepted as talented and bands that will have their music go on, like Radiohead, Tool, Muse, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The White Stripes etc.

And the classic mainstream rock bands that we know of, Floyd, Zeppelin, Purple, Stones, all proved that they have staying power after all these years, and that hey did influence a whole new generation of musicians.

And well, the mainstream back then was different (or at least I'm told considering I didn't live then but I had pretty darn long conversations about music with the older generation!) and radio wasn't necessarily promoting the bands with the biggest image or whatnot.

You know what? I honestly can't answer this cause as a classic rocker, I'm too biased :P

• I think it all comes down to inovation compared to immitation. It is much harder to be a pioneer of something and to bve the first to do something rather than just copy something with your own twist on it. The Beatles were part of a group of bands who pioneered the bith of Rock and Roll and set the standard very high. Almost every band that has come since has been in some way an imitation of that style, sound etc...

MCR is nothing new. They are just cpoping what has come beofre them....and not even very well. They are more about style rather than substance and are seen by many serious musicians as a fad, very manufactured and fake. They are like most "popular" bands these days: an expendable unit shifter!

i believe it goes along with the hollywood and media bit. like back during the beatles time movies and such were kept to a pg level nothing more than a couple sexual enuendos at most and very little actual violence. now it seems that people live off of sex and violence and other vulgarities. the music industry has picked up on this and coincides with all of the rest of the media etc. in my opinion the top bands feel that they must keep that style instead of playing what they enjoy or would be acceptable. this is a feeling the lower level bands dont have.

its obvious, because its highly likely that someone has already done what is newly around today already, whatever the genre, and heavily influenced or not, people will always look back at who did something first and believe the originals to sound so much better.. and they are usually right! just remember you dont have to choose who you like and dislike out of the two, if you can accept and listen to both bands then you are getting alot more out of music both in enjoyment and knowledge than compared to someone who will only like the beatles and dismiss anything else that looks vaguely familiar!

Simply because they were the first,I didn't like the Beatles but they have great song writing,.The First bands what Cream was doing,what Led Zeppelin was doing was taking American Blues and pumping up with steroids and it became Heavy Rocky Blues,now know has Hard Rock and Black Sabbath with doomy music now know has Heavy Metal

This is a good question...

I would probably say that it's because the older bands were influences to the newer bands of today. It's definitly hard to come up with something original now-a-days but the bands are definitly doing it and should get respect for it.

Older rock bands have already stood the test of time,they've been through the scrutiny of critics and such.

Plus the vast majority of whats out today sucks so bad,even MCR sounds good to people.

I dont have a clue what happened to good music,its becoming rarer and rarer.

So listen to what you like,hey its your ears!

I just love real talent and im still looking for it.

Source(s): My ears

Take a look at The Beatles, those guys sure as hell didn't have the looks. MCR is only famous because of all the fangirls who want Gerard Way in their pants.