American spelling and british spelling?

I'm an aussie born and over here in Aus we use english spelling. I honestly dont understand why the people here in and the UK think that american spelling is so wrong. Americans will spell and pronounce words according to the way they are written and spoken in the alphabet. Their spelling is also more... show more I'm an aussie born and over here in Aus we use english spelling. I honestly dont understand why the people here in and the UK think that american spelling is so wrong. Americans will spell and pronounce words according to the way they are written and spoken in the alphabet. Their spelling is also more consistent and easier to understand. For example the english will spell major and major, but for some reason they will spell humor(american) as humour. This makes absolutely no sense. THere are several instances where the british spelling will simply add extra letters into a word, extra letters that arent needed, like in the word: programme and oestrogen (program and estrogen- american). Who cares if the english came up with the language, american spelling is more direct and correct. US spelling should replace English spelling just like the metric system replaced the imperial system. Are there any other non-americans out there who feel the same way about this?
10 answers 10