Clear liquid coming out of ear?

For the last 2 days, I have had clear liquid coming out of my ears. Literally, I feel liquid dripping out of my ear. It's clear, scent-less, and feels like water. I'm not swimming, there's no pain...so what could it be? When I was a kid, I used to have ear infections and not even feel them, do you think it could be that? I already have prescription ear drops left over, should I use them?

• Kelsey
    Favorite Answer

Drainage from ear infections is usually brownish-greenish. SInce you are having no symptoms of an ear infection, I would say that no, it's not an ear infection. You know how tremendously painful the can be, and to have an ear infection without pain is quite strange.

The first thing that I thought of when you said "clear fluid out of the ear" is cerebro spinal fluid (CSF). That's the fluid that bathes your brain and spinal cord and keeps it moist. leaking CSF is usually the result of a head injury. If you have had a recent head injury, I suggest going to the ER. If you have not had a head injury, it's probably just the fluid from your inner ear. You may have a small perforation in your eardrum. You still need to go see the doc an hiave it diagnosed. Do not put anything in your ear until you know what it is and have cleared it with the doctor.

Source(s): nursing student
  • huyler

Fluid Draining From Ear

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Clear liquid coming out of ear?

For the last 2 days, I have had clear liquid coming out of my ears. Literally, I feel liquid dripping out of my ear. It's clear, scent-less, and feels like water. I'm not swimming, there's no pain...so what could it be? When I was a kid, I used to have ear infections and not even feel...

Source(s): clear liquid coming ear: https://bitly.im/D7ZsT
  • Area

I have a son, Joey Niceforo, who is a young 27 year old tenor, with a group called "DESTINO" recording in Vancouver Bc, Canada.

For the last few weeks Joey has had a cold. Just a few days ago he developed an ear ache, a swollen ear and loss of hearing. He was diagnosed with serous otitis media (middle ear infection).

The major concern we have is that Joey and the Group DESTINO have been booked to open the Marie Osmond show in Disney World on April 3,

Have a quick remedy for our son??

Joey's ear got better just before flying.

He also got the special ear plugs for flying, and arrived in Florida, from Vancouver, on April 1st. On April 2nd he told us the ear was almost 100 percent, and he will, with the other, great DESTINO tenors be performing, in the COLORADO BALL ROOM DISNEY WORLD tonight at 7 pm.

This help was so effective, and helpful, to our young Canadian tenor, Joey Niceforo. I'm sure this input and therapy advice will, and has helped others.

If it's clear and odorless you have nothing to worry about....yet. This clear liquid, probably excess cerebral spinal fluid, could be the perfect place for a bacteria to begin forming and then you 'll have problems. Your physician should be able to give you something to stop it but until then I would suggest that you remove any excess liquid with a Q-tip as often as necessary to prevent bacterial growth. Be very careful, though, because if there is damage in your inner ear for any reason , a Q-tip could worsen it so don't go in too deep. Best of luck!

• paik

Drainage From Ear

It svery hard to diagnose what it is without the doctor looking in it.

DO NOT use the left over ear drops you have. If you use the prescription ear drops without the proper indication you can actually cause ALOT more damage into your ear.

The fluid could be anything. Most likely it is a minor infection. If not it could be some perilymph from your inner ear but that seems very unlikely.

Source(s): Bsc Pharm

I would see a doctor, especially before putting anything in your ears. Have you suffered any concussions or trauma to your head or neck recently? While the discharge may be from an infection --which would still warrant a visit to a physician/urgent care--there is a remote possibility that it could be cerebrospinal fluid which definitely requires an immediate visit to an emergency room. The cerebrospinal fluid would only most likely be the case if you have suffered an injury recently.

• I have been having the same problem,seen one Dr who gave me drops twice, saw a different Dr twice was told was inner ear and given antibiotics, did not improve so was then told it was the canal and more antibiotics. Visited another doctor he said I need to get it checked at ear,nose and throat department. So hopefully on Monday I may have an answer

• Crystal4 years agoReport

What did you learn from the Ear and nose dept? I was referred but haven t gone.

this happened to my friends little sister, you should go to a doctor and you have a small hole in your inner ear, nothing serious but you wil need some antibiotics, depending on how young you are depends on how quick it will heal

but it's nothing serious

and dont use your old ear-drops!>:|

**good luck** :D