Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

Do guys in other law enforcement agencies still make fun of the ATF for the Waco fiasco?

The ATF had four guys killed and several more critically wounded in a botched raid on the Branch Davidian compound near Waco, Texas in 1993.

This was due to their utter lack of planning. The raiding officers actually ran straight into rifle fire that should have been easily avoided by using other approaches into the compound, rather than the heavily-defended windows.

Do guys in other law enforcement agencies, federal or otherwise, still make fun of the ATF guys for being so incompetent, and getting their butts handed to them by a bunch of religious crazies?

Update:

After the botched raid, the FBI actually came in and said "Hey, ATF, you guys suck at your job, we're taking this operation over."

That must have been TERRIBLY embarrassing for them.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

ATF had actually had an under cover agent in the Branch Davidian compound. The under cover agent told the ATF that they were well armed and that a raid should not be launch right away, a new plan was needed. The tactical commander of ATF did not listen to the intel and looked what happened, 4 ATF Agents gunned down. The ATF commander flat out under estimated his adversary and paid for it. Since then law enforcement groups have studied this hoping not to repeat this mess again.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I don't think that any LEOs 'made fun' of anyone involved in Waco. It was a sad day for everyone and the word 'fun' is never uttered or even thought of when anyone dies, LEO or citizen. With the benefit of 'hindsight' we can now see that better planning *might* have seen better results, but you are wrong to say that there was an 'utter lack of planning' or that those involved were 'incompetent'. Walk a mile in their shoes, my friend.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

law enforcement groups are a very close bunch. they dont make fun or laugh when their "brothers-in-arms" are killed.

• 1 decade ago

I think they have moved on.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.