Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

How to make Fluffy Pancakes?

I normally use biquick for pancakes, but I want to try to learn to make pancakes big, light and fluffy from scratch. All the recipes I have made turned out dense and bland, and I followed them exactly!

Any help is Appreciated

Favorite Answer

This is from America's Test Kitchen and these are the best pancakes I have ever had.

This batter serves four perfectly for a light weekday breakfast. You may want to double the recipe for weekend pancake making, when appetites are larger. If you happen to be using salted butter or buttermilk, you may want to cut back a bit on the salt. If you don’t have any buttermilk, mix three-quarters cup of room temperature milk with one tablespoon of lemon juice and let it stand for five minutes. Substitute this “clabbered milk” for the three-quarters cup of buttermilk and one-quarter cup of milk in this recipe. Since this milk mixture is not as thick as buttermilk, the batter and resulting pancakes will not be as thick.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon table salt

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 cup buttermilk

1/4 cup milk (plus an extra tablespoon or so if batter is too thick)

1 large egg , separated

2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted

vegetable oil (for brushing griddle)

1. Mix dry ingredients in medium bowl. Pour buttermilk and milk into 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Whisk in egg white; mix yolk with melted butter, then stir into milk mixture. Dump wet ingredients into dry ingredients all at once; whisk until just mixed.

2. Meanwhile, heat griddle or large skillet over strong medium-high heat. Brush griddle generously with oil. When water splashed on surface confidently sizzles, pour batter, about 1/4 cup at a time, onto griddle, making sure not to overcrowd. When pancake bottoms are brown and top surface starts to bubble, 2 to 3 minutes, flip cakes and cook until remaining side has browned, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Re-oil the skillet and repeat for the next batch of pancakes.

1

Source(s): Modern People Paleo Guide - http://paleocookbook.raiwi.com/?CSMv

Use 1/4 t soda in 2 T water, 1-1/2 c buttermilk and 1 c self rising flour. Or dash salt, 1 1/2 t baking powder :1c flour. Make sure you sift or stir well. Do not peak to check for done, it bursts bubbles. Instead check batter around edge for appearance of dry, and center will have bubbles bursting when ready to turn. The first pancake can be your trial...as to how hot pan is, med to med hi is best for pancakes, or 350 on electric skillet.

If you beat the batter, they will be dense, tough, even. Fold the wet into the dry, also beat the egg in a dish before adding. I also use one drop of vanilla...with the above ingredients, add 3 T oil. Makes about 4 large pancakes. This recipe can be expanded to serve as many as you wish.

Remember baking is a science. Soda is to be used with sour milk, buttermilk or yogurt to balance the acid and create the bubbles. Sweet milk or skim, regular 2%, whole milk are to be used with baking powder. You get a double rise, but the buttermilk and soda addition really give it a poof! Good Luck.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How to make Fluffy Pancakes?

Any help is Appreciated

Source(s): fluffy pancakes: https://shortly.im/k20um

I cook at a hunting lodge and use a pancake mix for pancakes. To make them light and fluffy I add a can of beer for the liquid. It makes great pancakes!

This is the IHop clone from recipezaar. My family loves these pancakes

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups flour

1 1/2 cups buttermilk

1/3 cup cream of wheat (1 minute kind)

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 cup vegetable oil

Directions

1Preheat griddle.

2Spray with pan release.

3Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix until smooth.

4Pour batter by 1/3 cupsful onto the griddle and cook for 1 - 2 minutes per side or till brown.

5Makes 8 - 10 pancakes.

There's nothing like a nice full and filling breakfast in the morning. A balanced breakfast with plenty of choice makes a great start to any day!

How hard is it for you to get your entire family together for a sit-down breakfast? Don't let breakfast become endangered, add some light fluffy pancakes to your menu and live a great life!

Pancakes are so versatile and easy to make. I will show you how easy it is for you to make light fluffy pancakes that are tasty and almost melt in your mouth.

These light and fluffy pancakes are great for all ages as you can add just about any topping you like or simply eat them like cupcakes. They are not too sweet so you can enjoy the nostalgic taste of maple syrup on top.

You can use ingredients straight from the fridge - which makes this pancake batter recipe a great last minute breakfast item.

I recommend using an electric beater to save time when possible. Save your time for sharing some valuable moments with your entire family at your breakfast table.

-* Light and Fluffy Pancake Recipe *-

Preparation Time: Less than 10 minutes Cooking Time: Approximately 5 to 10 minutes

Makes about two dozen pancakes.

Ingredients you will need:

- 1/4 cup butter

- 1/4 cup sugar (or icing sugar)

- 1 egg

- 1 1/4 cups self-raising flour (sifted)

- 2/3 cup of milk (light or low fat is ok, you can also just use water or a combination of water and milk)

- vanilla essence

Method:

- Beat butter and sugar until creamed or until butter is a lighter colour.

- Add the egg to the mixture, then add flour around the mixture and pour in the milk and vanilla essence.

- Mix all ingredients together until well mixed and smooth. If for some reason your pancake batter mixture is a little thick, stop the mixing and quickly add a little more milk or water. (If you are hand-beating the batter, start from the center of the mixture and beat in one direction only.)

The texture that you are looking for is a thick but liquid-y batter that you can easily pour onto the frying pan.

- Next, heat up your frying pan until it is hot. If you need to, add some oil to the pan. I use a French crêpe frying pan so I don't need to use any oil at all, but if you have to, try to use spray oil.

- Reduce heat and pour pancake batter onto pan to the size/es that you want.

- Let the pancake raise and brown slightly before flipping over.

When you flip the pancake over to cook the other side, you should see that the pancake is raising faster.

Make sure that the heat of the pan isn't too high. A good tip is to make sure that you don't see any heat smoke coming from the pan.

A safeguard way to ensure that your pancakes become light and fluffy is to cook on low heat, but I find that keeping the pan on medium low is usually ok. Just turn down the heat after a couple of batches to reduce pan temperature.

Here are some creative add-ons that you can use with your fluffy pancakes:

Blueberry Pancakes

- Add blueberries into the batter at the last minute.

Chocolate Pancakes

- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of cocoa with the flour before mixing.

Choc-Chip Pancakes

- Cook your pancakes very thin on one side, sprinkle some choc-chips onto one pancake, flip another one over the choc-chips (so that it's sandwiched) and continue cooking on low heat. Turn over and cook the other side.

Source(s): breakfast

best to use is self rising flour,

mix with milk,

add enough milk so the better has a good fall

when poured

dash of melted butter

1/4 cup sugar or icing sugar will also do

mix well

don't add salt if the butter you using is salted

1 teaspoon of vanilla essence

leave aside for 1/2 hour

heat fry pan add little butter, on medium heat

pour a large spoon of better on hot

pan then spread with the spoon or specular

turn when golden in colour, then same on the other side.

serve with syrup,fruits or even ice-cream

Try to use less water to make your pancakes more thicker and fluffy. Have a great day in the kitchen.

Try using egg whites, mix them in a metal bowl on high till they are fluffy. Then fold them into the rest of the batter slowly.

I don't know if this will work but it is worth a try.