Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Are there any black people in Russia?

I figured I would ask on here because nobody knew the answer on culture and society. Or travel europe. Can anybody tell me if there are black russian speaking people in Russia? I am sorry if this question sounds ignorant. I am just curious.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Russia

A cultural classification of people as "black" exists in Russia. Certain groups of people who are ethnically different, and generally darker, than ethnic urbanite Russians (since many Russians from the countryside can be dark) are pejoratively referred to as "blacks" (chernye), and face specific sorts of social exclusion (see Racism in Russia). Gypsies, Georgians, and Tatars fall into this category.[90] Those referred to as "black" are from the former Soviet republics, predominantly peoples of the Caucasus, e.g. Chechens[91]. Although "Caucasian" is used in American English to mean "white people", in Russian -- and most other varieties of English -- it only refers to the Caucasus, not European people in general.

• 1 decade ago

Yes there are lots especially in the main cities. I was in St Petersburgh last year and got talking to some medical students, apparently a lot of black people study medicine in Russia.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Maybe only tourists and some international students, but very very few. There is a lot of racism against blacks in Russia.

• 1 decade ago

There are a few that I am aware of but an extremly small minority.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Very few.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.