How can I set a timer to turn my PC off at a set time.....?

I need to set it to turn off at my choice of time.....

I want it to shut down at 11pm.... not turn back on till 6am. And not be obvious with visible icons, as I am trying to outsmart a devious teenager. (worth a try surely).

Its quite a list of demands but does anyone have any suggestions?????

Oh yeah and preferably downloadable and free. ;-)

Favorite Answer

try crawler parental control on download.com. its free

I would suggest you use a software program to shut the computer down (try http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/system/fwshutdow...

but then to keep it off for the time required you would need to set an electronic plug in power cord timer. When the power comes back on the pc will start up again.

However if the teenager is devious they could work around this without you knowing.

Perhaps a keylock on the computer is needed.

Another way, I would do actually if i needed this, is install an electronic timer inside the computer that turns the power supply off during the period you want it off. I would then use a program to shut the machine down before the power shuts off. This way the teenager would not workout how to bypass the timer.

Timer To Turn Off Computer

Using the in built task schedule check source shows you how

Software can probably shut down a computer very easily, but no software can turn on a shut down computer. Software requires hardware to be powered on to execute. Your easiest bet is to put a password on all the user names that your teenager does not know. Then at 11, simply go over and lock it down.

If you have Windows XP or Vista. Simply press the Windows key and L at the same time. On Windows 2000, press Ctrl+Alt+Del and select lock workstation.

Turning off the computer by just pulling the plug or switch is not recommended, but if your daughter is on the net all the time you could set up the modem maybe to shut down then there would be no connection,Or you could just put your foot down.

Create yourself a scheduled task to shutdown...

Contol Panel - Scheduled Tasks - Add Scheduled Task - Next

Browse

Type c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe

Set the task frequency (daily, weekly etc.)

Enter your username and password for the task

Check the 'Open Advanced Properties' for the task

In the 'Run' box, it should have c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe

put -s -f at the end of this line, so it reads

c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe -s -f

(this tells the task to shutdown and force any open applications to shutdown forcibly)

(note: where it shows .e... above, use .exe - it appears that Yahoo Answers doesn't let us type progam names ending .exe)

That's the shutdown taken care of - unfortunately there's no way to prevent your 'devious teenager' from turning the computer back on, unless you set a startup password in the computer BIOS.

• Bunny

not sure you will be able to do that because if you turn it off at the mains without shutting it down through the computer programme there is a chance you can damage the computer, especially if you turn it off this way regularly

Interesting question so I had a mooch around mine, but couldn't find any solutions in any of the systems that would help.

So I had a mooch around some other places and found this >

http://www.crawlerparentalcontrol.com

I had a read and it looks right up your street! It appears to be freeware so go and have a look.

Source(s): Experience.

Not without the parental password. You need to go onto a parent's side of the computer and there will be an option to turn it off.

if its a mac you could download a program called "The script timer"

And set it all up on that.

Dont know about windows... there is probably a few scripts out there that can turn it off buy im not 100% of the on one.