Is the Capital Punishment a contradiction to American values?

For instance, we have a right to bear arms. The reason we have this right is not only because of self defense but because of our desire to be able to resist the government by forming a militia if we had the means to.

For this reason most Americans strongly support this right.

Then why would we trust them with the maximum punishment, of being able to take away someone’s life?

So, is the Capital Punishment a contradiction to American values?

Colin, well, thanks. I guess.

I know America might not keep "the moral ground" but I'm trying to point out a clear contradiction in American practices.

One at a time.

I don't agree Vincent.

And you don't know what situations I've been in.

Favorite Answer

Once America

a) gets rid of that crackpot Bush

b) gets out of Iraq ( which never was connected with 9/11 in any way, shape or form, and certainly did NOT have WMD)

c) pays back the over ONE TRILLION dollars they now owe to Chinese banks,

Then it will truly be the home of the free. I think perhaps you have greater issues to sort out, although - in my opinion- civilised countries do NOT execute people. It's barbaric.

Well not to sound critical but when Americans were given the right to bear arms they were carrying muskets. It is a right that should be harder then it is to have. Not everybody should have a gun, sorry i'll say it. There are some nut jobs out there that I don't want to have a gun that do.

And on the morality issue not more then two days ago a couple was stoned to death in the middle east for adultery. They actually eloped because the woman was not suitable for the man. She was buried just a few hundred feet of the place it happened. The man was given to his family for burial purposes, and the womans family was denied that right.

Am I proud of being a part of any country that feels it has the right to take life...I don't think unless you have been apart of a situation involving these circumstances it is kind of hard to have an honest heart felt opinion.

That is a pretty common question here. You'll see that the most common response from pro-life/pro-CP people is that an unborn child is innocent, while the death penalty is reserved only for those who "deserve it." What I have YET to see is a reasonable response to the very real problem of wrongful convictions. In the last 35 years in the U.S., 133 people have been released from death row because they were exonerated by DNA and other evidence. These are ALL people who were found guilty “beyond a reasonable doubt.” Unfortunately, DNA evidence is not available in most cases. So, as long as the death penalty is in place, you are pretty much GUARANTEED to occasionally execute an innocent person. Regardless of politics, how can ANYONE be okay with that?

I thought that much of the countrys values/morals originate from/are ensconsed in old christian religion. In a religious context, to demonstrate just how serious offences such as murder etc are, how serious it is to take a life, capital punishment is deemed appropriate punishment. (There's quotes in the bible about this.) However, I don't know why they choose to play god in administering this kind of punishment, that's where there's another contradiction - (Don't really know, just thoughts.)

That's interesting about the right to bear arms, I never knew that, coming from the UK.

No contradiction. Capital punishment is just The Village exercising it's right of self defense.

American values? Which values would those be then?

the US is #'1 in the industrialised world for...

- #1 for the use of the world's resources

- #1 in the production of pollution

- #1 in the gap between rich and poor

- #1 in deaths by gunfire

- #1 for teen pregnancy

- #1 for poverty among the elderly

- #1 for citizens without health coverage

- #1 for child poverty

- #1 for homeless veterans

- #1 for citizens behind bars

- #1 debtor nation in the world

- #1 in the creation of new billionaires

- #1 in school dropouts

- #1 in poverty, homelessness, hunger, divorce and suicide

- #1 in military spending - about as much as the rest of the world combined

As long as it supports abortion then I think capital punishment is right in line with their values.

• Todd

If you look at it that way, that is, about libertarianism v statism.

But on the other hand you could say that they are both violent and Americans are violent, so it's fully consistent. It's just where you look. ;>

No decent person can support it, certainly no Christian can.

no a life for a life...