Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why is it so hard for Christians to understand that humans evolved from a primordial "soup"?

When it is proven scientifically that each one of us came from another chemical mixture?

Every one of you started out as a microscopic sperm and over a period of time, became a fetus with a reptilian tail and eventually a person.

Science calls this phenomenon, recapitulation, where, ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny.

In the recapitulation in man we can detect traces of hydras, notochords, cartilaginous fish, bony fish, amphibians, reptiles, mammals, primates, apes, and finally humans.

What took six hundred million years of evolution to develop in the case of humans takes place inside the womb in nine months.

Since even the fundamental process of early human development tell the very story of evolution, and moreover, in front of our very eyes, we observe plainly that we come from a microscopic, simple organism (sperm), developed (quite un-miraculously and quite scientifically) into a more and more complex one,

why then, is it so hard for you to understand evolution?

Hey, Creation,

Dr. Dino is in jail for tax evasion.

"render to Caesar??"

Plus he has been defeated in debates steadily since 1987.

Monday - or should I say, Albert Pike...?

I wasn't talking to THOSE Christians.

All I can say is, WOW!

Only one of you even hinted that you got the question, and that was the woman who calls herself PROBLEM.

And even she could not give the benefit of the doubt when necessary (I do not have space to explain everything)

But my point is intact, for those who care to imagine it. The idea remains scientifically compelling and is legitimate.

You guys are scary - I only pray that most of you are wither outliers or variables!

Favorite Answer

I am a Christian and I choose to believe that we did Evolve that is not hard to believe though "When it is proven scientifically that each one of us came from another chemical mixture" Is not true. It is not Scientifically proven. It may be believed to be true by 98% of scientist but there are tons of missing links to the theory. The fact that even Scientist still argue about the evidence and there are different theories of evolution which can contradict or compete with each other in various ways and there can be strong and sometimes quite acrimonious disagreement between evolutionary scientists regarding their ideas. Because of this debate it is not a fact. A proven Fact is 2 + 2=4 though even some chaos quantum mechanic theorist would say that is not even true.

the relationship between development (ontogeny) and evolution (phylogeny) is perhaps a tiny bit more murky than you suggest. development has a much more certain outcome due to pre-existing genetic material and surrounding environment, which are more or less constant between individuals. whereas evolution differs from development both in its starting point (does anyone really think that the "primordial soup" had cells in it?) and in its products (human embryos never grow into trees). i think i could hardly blame christians (or anyone) for being skeptical of evolution if this was all there was to support it, because it offers no account of why evolution followed the course(s) it did, and in fact suggests spurious explanations.

probably i'm just being nitpicky. i think this works a reply to the idea that we should consider development from a single cell "impossible". one might also point out that evolution, while being less constrained, took a lot longer.

I think you have a bit of misunderstanding about evolution. Modern biology rejects the literal and universal form of Haeckel's theory. Although humans are thought by scientists to share ancestors with many other taxa The Recapitulation theory is flawed. as for sperm turning into a fetus...you need to re study sex ed.

Did you say "proven scientifically"? Let me guess, your "textbook said so" or "you heard a lecture on the subject". Is it unscientific to say we were created? Neither of us have seen experiments nor seen GOD creating! If you set up a laboratory experiment to "create" life, was it an act of nature that happened by chance or did "someone" put the "act" into motion?

The bigger question is, why is it so difficult to accept that a GREATER BEING created us?

I strongly believe that we are a creation of a greater being than us and the science that YOU claim actually supports a GREATER BEING!

GOD bless

Zealots, thats the word gor people who take religion beyond what the book says. The book itself is full of metaphors because it was written for people who were uneducateed to say the least. The vatican would have youbelieve everything they say including brand new sins and giving 10 percent of your money to them... possibly because of the black pope... research it im not making this up... by the way im a born roman catholic

Quite simple because it is uncertain exactly how they evolved. It is not proven at all how We came into being. Not being a Christian I can not speak for Christians. I indeed do know evolution is a proven fact. However it is not at all proved how it all came about. So quit pretending you know it all and give others credit for having their own differing opinion.

What geologists have claimed happened to the Grand Canyon happened at Mount St. Helens in a few days.

I think any one can understand it, since it was concieved by man. There are many parts of it that can be thought of as great explanations of the continuation of creation. It does not disprove or contradict any other theories

I bet some one answer along the lines of "evolutionists believe we came from rocks".

Makes me hate the US school system.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that the majority of Christians believe in evolution? It is actually dogma (i.e. mandatory) for over 55% of Christians world-wide. Examine your own misconceptions about "Christians," and maybe you will start to understand why some people have misconceptions about evolution.