Is my son ready for a front facing car seat?

My son is only 6 months but he weighs 22 lbs already. Lately he seems soo cramped and when I put him in it he squirms around and cries. His feet and legs are being squashed by the back seat. I know that you are suppose to keep them in a rear facing seat as long as you can but he is just getting too big. Is it ok to... show more My son is only 6 months but he weighs 22 lbs already. Lately he seems soo cramped and when I put him in it he squirms around and cries. His feet and legs are being squashed by the back seat. I know that you are suppose to keep them in a rear facing seat as long as you can but he is just getting too big. Is it ok to go ahead and buy a front facing seat or should I try and keep him in his infant seat until he is 1?
Update: ok, there is no law against putting him in a front facing car seat in Indiana (where I live). Also, I am asking a legit question, I dont appreciate being attacked. Also, yes, his legs and feet are squashed! His safety means the most to me! I would never compromise his safety just because he is uncomfortable.