Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 1 decade ago

"Spare the rod spoil the child"?

How many of you out there were spanked as kids, do you spank your kids, do you agree with this practise .

Now hear this I am no way implying child abuse here .

What forms of punishment to kids would you approve of and why ?

• Nika
    Favorite Answer

LOL...girl, we come from the same place so you know what my answer is! And hell yeah, those boys know what to expect when they misbehave! They get it on their butts good and proper. But really, they are great kids, so it has to be a serious infraction for that. Otherwise, they go into 'solitary'; which just means sitting in my room with no toys, books, tv etc. (and they hate this particular punishment). For minor infractions, they get their things (like their gameboys) confiscated.

Just recently, I made one of the twins clean their nasty truck stop smellin bathroom by himself on his hands and knees with an old toothbrush and a stank sponge because he was playing the fool in school and I wanted him to see what kind of career he had in store for him if he kept it up. That was a month ago and reports came home yesterday...he made the honour roll after a term of B's and C's. Damn, I'm good! LMAO!

There is a huge difference between spanking and abusing. The penitentiary research is skewed unless they also ask the same number of never incarcerated people. You could say that 95% of inmates were raised on Mother's milk. You set up rules and guidelines for your children. And they will always push to see just how much they can get away with. If the punishment is sitting in a corner or having Mommy talk to you, big deal. If the punishment involves a bit a pain, the child will think twice about breaking the rules next time. I think you could probably do a study and see that moral decay, violence in schools, disruptive classroom behavior and so on all became an increasing problem after the mahogany was removed from the Principal's office.

I think spanking is okay for very small children. If a 2 year old is about to touch a hot pan, you pull them back, give them a tap on the bum or the hand, and they understand, they don't try to do it again. But once a child gets to the age where you can explain what's wrong with what they're doing, it's counterintuitive. I think that if you're still spanking your kids when they're 10, you likely have an anger problem, you should see someone about it. Even moreso if you're still spanking them well into their teen years. In my experience, if a parent is still using physical punishment long past the point where other non-violent, non-physical measures would be effective, and likely more effective, it leads to abuse.

My parents spanked me a few times when I was younger. I haven't got a spanking since I was like nine, I am fourteen currently. I think that parents should spank there children, when my parents ground me and stuff...it doesn't get the message across. But if they took a belt and spanked me, it would. One of my brothers in five years younger then me, so since my parents stopped spanking me when I was nine… he was only four. He is extremely disrespectful, rude, doesn't do his housework, needs mom to do his homework with him (she basically does it all), he walks all over her, is always on TV, doesn’t help out...etc. When I was his age it was a whip on the butt. You see, there comes appoint where it is discipline and abuse. If you are getting spanked on the butt after doing something wrong, that isn't abuse unless they do it for hours. You can notice how more responsible, respectful, polite and mature I was compared to how my brother is...I think the statistics speak for themselves.

I am only fourteen years old, (I am a virgin) but when I am about twenty-six I want to start having my family...I want about five children. (Two- Five Children is what I say though!) I will discipline my children more then my parents disciplined me, I have to show my children that I'M THE ONE IN CHARGE...so I most likely will spank. I don't see anything wrong with it, that's my perspective anyway. I would always be scared to do something bad when my parents spanked me, so I would always be well behaved. Families I know that spank their children have more well behaved and polite children. Are great-grandparents and grandparents were spanked and look at how proper they are…taking away spanking is making society what it is today. The little five-year old screaming and crying at the grocery store because she wants cookies really should get a whip on the butt but she is getting cookies. Children are not going to be as independent as the use to be. If you love your child enough, you could discipline them. It’s just like everything else, sucks at the beginning but they appreciate it in the end. =]

Source(s): Fourteen year old girls perspective! <3

I was spanked as a child. If i didn't do what my parents wanted me to after a count of three, they spanked me. I cried.

I think it did more good than harm. I didn't feel abused and i learned quickly to do what they said before a count of three.

I think a lot of behavioural problems today are caused by a lack of spankings. However, by the time a child turns eight, spankings are no longer appropriate.

i got spanked like once or twice.I'm 14.I don't think it is bad because a child should know when it did a bad thing and should get a punishment for that.As you said its like abuse,lets say the child spills something,there is no reason for the child to get spanked,but to explain to try or to not do it again.If the child does a lot worse things then you should spank it so it learns its lesson.The punishments should also be different from the parent,i would punish my child for falling a test,skipping school,getting into a fight etc..The punishment would be grounding or a time out,depending on the age.

• I was spanked, and turned out absolutely fine. It didn't harm me in any way, it just taught me at a young age that there is consequences for my actions. My parents didn't spank me all the time, they had other forms of discipline too. Spanking is fine, as long it isn't abuse. It shouldn't be used solely as a form of discipline, but as a last resort. Have at it...

yes i was spanked. yes i spanked.if consistent.i belive in instant obedeince up to a certian age(depends on the child)i yelled STOP at my daughter and she stopped. she was 3 and about to run in front of a car it saved her from getting hit.she knew if she did not stop she would be spanked. she later told me at 22 that it wasnt the severity of the punishment but the certinty,buy the way my house is where all the kids hung out.i have given 2 of her friends away at ther weddings.both punished at my house

i was spanked... i wasn't beaten though. funny thing is i would say i would never hit my kids but hey i came out alright. as for when i have kids, i'll use it as my last resort, if other punishments do not work. the best punishment though is giving them the guilt trip... that was the worst for me, seeing the disappointment in my parents face... and im not against spanking ur kids, just dont take it too far like joe jackson! haha

Source(s): grew up with deserved spankings

I got the belt, but I don't spank my kids. But I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that both my parents worked whereas my wife is a stay-at-home.