Steerin wheel goes stiff, and the car goes off. brake light n battery light up?

it seems fine when driving fast but wn i apply brakes n slow down sometimes, the steering wheel goes really stiff and is very hard to turn. engine goes off too and the battery and brake light up.

brake fluid, steering fluid all just topped up. fuel filter was also changed 2 days ago. belts changed too.

it is a mitsubishi galant

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Mayan
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The engine stops. That causes all those other symptoms. So what can stop an engine when you are braking, but only sometimes. The only possibilities I can think of are low transmission fluid and dirty transmission filter.

I know, you are saying "This guy's nuts." What happens is the braking action causes the transmission fluid to slosh forward. When there is plenty of fluid and a clean filter, the transmission oil pump moves oil to the clutches regardless of any sloshing. But when the fluid is low or the filter is dirty, the fluid doesn't get replaced fast enough when the sloshing moves it away from the clutches. When the clutches have no transmission fluid, they seize up. That stops the engine if it is idling down, as is the case when you are braking.

When you change the transmission filter, make sure you use new fluid.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Get the car scanned for free some place and also it could just need a over haul a good tune up etc.I think it might be related to a air vac system problem and look for any devices that connect with the EGR valve and have vac lines on them.

Hope that helps and best of luck.By the way a bad alternator or battery or bad connections in any of their connections can cause same type of problems ,plus a bad ground running to the vehicles computers or main ECM or even a bad engine block ground.

• 1 decade ago

the steering wheel goes stiff because the engine stopped so the power steering isn't on... you can still steer, it's just more difficult.

it sounds like the computer is allowing the engine to idle too low, so it stalls.

most newer cars let the computer "re-learn" the idle setting if you just start it and let it run idle for about 5 minutes-- give it a try!

good luck,

paul

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It may be one or more of the systems which derives power from your serpentine belt are either not connected properly or are malfunctioning in some other way. it sounds like a pretty serious problem that could ultimately lead to engine seisure, which will turn your car into a very large paperweight unless you want to rebuild the motor. don't drive it anywhere except to the garage to get it fixed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

the reason your steering goes really stiff is bekos its lost its power. i take it you have power steering? because you are losing power, your engines stops, the battery and brakes light up, this is normal when any car decides to 'quit'.

im thinking alternator, battery probs? short out somewhere, try getting it checked with auto electrician.

• Rich
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Your engine dies because it is unable to idle. If you just had work done on it (belts changed), a vacuum tube may have been left unconnected or an electrical connector that controls the idle speed. Take it back to your shop and don't pay them anything to fix it because it is related to something they left disconnected.

• Don W
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

So what your saying is that the engine sometime dies when your stopping? I would have a mechanic check the idle speed control system and clean the throttle.

• 1 decade ago

Here's the deal with those mitsushitsu's the PCV valves always go bad on them......have that looked at first.

• 1 decade ago

Battery or Alternator. Seems like an electrical system problem.

• bobweb
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Your engine is stalling and your loosing all power to your accessories. You will have to diagnose your engine stalling problem.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.