Is Thomas Beatie A Man or Woman or It?

I mean s(he) still has female reproductive organs so how can it be a man. In my view s(he_'s not a man, just a woman claiming to be one. I welcome all view points.

There is no such thing as a pregnant man, woman yes, unless your a seahorse.

15 min or fame.

how can it be a female to male, you either female or male. She still has female parts so she's a she. NOT a male unless she gets it turned.

Favorite Answer

HE is a HE and has always been a HE and will continue to be a HE.

You want to know how it's possible? I'll tell you, because I am one of these people. I'm not currently pregnant, but I could be in this guys position if I so chose.

You think it's easy? You think it's a hoax? Let me tell you how a typical life of a transgender man goes:

First you spend years of your life questioning yourself and who you are and why you dont' like things other "girls" like or do things other "girls" do. You question your whole identity or you KNOW who you really are, but no one will treat you the way you want to be treated, telling you things like "girls dont' do that" ect.

Then you finally find a resource that says that there is help available to you and it's called being transgendered or transsexual.

So, you follow the protocol called the Harry Benjamin Standards of Care.

Then you see a therapist and depending on how long he or she feels it takes to reach the diagnosis, he or she will diagnose you with Gender Identity Disorder or Gender Dysphoria. Isnt it nice how you have to get "approval" to be who you are? Must feel nice never having to go through that right? Yet another gender privilege for the cisgendered people that they take for granted.

Then, you get to see a doctor who puts you on hormones that you either rub on, take as a pill, or inject directly into your muscles. I take the injections, and I had to learn how to give them to myself. Of course, the testosterone, the office visits, the blood work, the gynecologist stuff all costs money, most of which isn't covered by insurance. Oh..look, yet another cisgendered privilege we don't get. Not to mention, cisgendered pepole rarely have to deal with the unsolicited opinions of the nursing staff and doctors who grudingly provide our care.

Then, after a year of living as the gender we were supposed to be in the first place, we might get the opportunity for surgery. Now, most female to males choose to get chest reconstruction to gain a flat chest like a bio male. This ranges from $6,000 to over $8,000 depending on complexity. Again..not covered by insurance in most cases, so the cost comes out of pocket.

And then there's genital reconstruction, but since we don't get insurance coverage, many FTM's don't get this surgery because it can cost well around $100,000 will all the surgeries involved, and the results aren't perfected yet.

Oh, and then I forgot all the other little things, like a new wardrobe, losing your significant other because they can't handle your transition, as well as your family and friends. Beign denied employment or losing your job if you transition on the job because you aren't given any employment protections (yet another cisgendered privilege) Some of us lose our homes, our children, our jobs, everything. All to risk being who we really are.

Oh and then there's also the cost of a legal name and gender change. That costs money too. The name change alone cost me $350.00. Plus all the hassle I had to go through to get it. I had to go to the police station, get a fingerprint card done, write up the order, file the order, get a notary, ect ect. Big hassle..along with the DMV and Social Security office.

I'm still dealing with it in regards to my credit report and selective service. Things still aren't matching in their system.

But, in order to legally change your gender, a female to male only has to have ONE gender specific surgery, and that can mean just the chest reconstruction, because many surgeons understand the difficulties of female to males in regards to genital reassignment.

So..legally, he is a male, even with female reproductive organs. The end. I think after going through all that, someone can call themselves and be whatever the hell they want to be. Who are YOU to judge them?

Source(s): I'm a transman.
  • Ian

Hey, I'm an FTM and I'm okay with it if you call me 'it'. Just because some people think 'it' is dehumanizing doesn't mean that everyone agrees. I see myself as an 'it' but since people don't understand I settled on male. People are dumb and just don't understand that there are other options than male or female, such as genderqueer.

Anyway, personally I think Thomas is an FTM, and I'd call him 'he', as he seems to like it that way, but who cares? The fact that people care so much about the male/female dichotomy is what's the problem. Why on earth is it so important to gender-normative people that other people be gender-normative too?

• Diane

Thomas Beattie is a MAN who was born transsexual.

Because HE was born transsexual, HE has 'female reproductive organs'. HE and HIS wife wanted a child; his wife can't conceive, carry or give birth to a child, as she has no uterus (presumably, by your logic, that must make HER a man...), so Thomas decided to stop the treatment HE was having for HIS congenital condition and have the child HIMSELF.

And calling any human being 'It' is dehumanising, rude, and offensive.

You'll notice I've capitalised the pronouns in my answer, since you seem to be having difficulty understanding which ones are correct.

Source(s): I'm a woman who was born transsexual.
  • He is legally a man, but still has his original reproductive organs. Thus making him a pregnant man. It is possible, look around the world is getting a whole new meaning to the word "diversity." You go Tommy Boy!

People seem to have a lot of trouble accepting his manhood, simply because he has female reproductive organs.

For these people, I suggest they view him as what he is: a transman (someone born as female who presents themselves as male). Thomas isn't lying or claiming he is male. He is a transman. Most of society, on seeing him, will view him as a man (unless they take a look at his genitals, his chromosomes, or he discloses that to them). I don't think it's that far of a stretch to simply accept him as male.

He DEFINITELY isn't a woman . . . or if he is, well, I'd certainly like to know what kind of women most people are hanging around.

He is a man, legally and in the way that he lives.

He has been altered surgically and changed in court.

Im with you it is impossible to be a human male and be pregnant. And I will go further and take an stance that people will not like and say that I feel sex change operations are wrong on every level. To me Thomas Beatie is a homosexual who had a sex change operation so he/ she wouldn't have to deal with the small minded thinking of people who hate gays.So it was easier to alter your outward appereance and hide what you are.

I understand a person is straight or homosexual, a person doesn't have a choice in the matter. But bi-sexual is another matter (Like the sex change) You can't accept yourself, make up your mind?

Ugh, this LADY is so annoying. I mean you gotta be kidding me! I normally am pretty open minded about gay, lesbian, transgenders and so on, but this is effing RIDICULOUS, and no I am not being ignorrant, I understand the whole thing of why they want kids and all that crap. I was really pissed off when I seen and heard about this WOMAN (bc that's what she is). I was even more mad that people CONTINUE to call this WOMAN a MAN. I don't give a damn if she legally changed her gender. She came into this earth as a woman and no amount of hormones will ever, I mean EVER change that. I really feel insulted as a woman right now bc of this WOMAN who is trying to be a MAN. Poor baby.

Source(s): Just my two cents!

Are you an 'it'???

Thomas is a man.It seems like a fake him being pregnant but hey...

Stop calling him an 'it'.

• It's a Female-to-Male who has her female organs.