What power drill and screw driver should I buy for home?

I want to know specifications for power drill and screwdriver combo tool which can be used for basic home use.

Example: Fixing a shelf i.e, drill first and then screw.

Please let me know. Thanks

Favorite Answer

for around the house i have the ryobi kit with a mini skill saw, jig saw, sander, flash light, drill and vacuume. forgot the kit no. but it was on sale at lowes for a really great price. came with 2 18v batteries and charger and carrying bag as well as blades for both saws and some bits. screw bits as well as some drilling bits.

the 18v gives it power and stays charged for a decent amount of time. sound like a sales man i know, but ive had it for bout two years and have had no problems.

Source(s): construction and home remodler
  • Pamela

I've been a DeWalt fan for almost 20 years. The 12V drill/driver from 1994 still has the original batteries. The 18V 5 1/4" circ saw from 5 years ago already needed new batteries. The key is to use cordless tools quite often. When they sit without being used the batteries don't seem to hold a charge for long, maybe that's why the drill has lasted 17 years. If you buy from the big box stores the tool is not the same. Most of them are speced out with plastic gears & parts, get them from a tool store, lumber yard etc.

Is this for a one time use? Or do you want to keep it around for occasional use?

Both Craftsman and Black and Decker make good sets of battery operated tools for the homeowner.

My personal preference is Ryobie. They makes several different combinations of tools as well as the drill all by itself.

You must weigh the amount of use it will get against the cost.

Source(s): carpenter/handyman
  • geoff

for occasional use only, get something cheap with a cheap replacement battery like harbor freight or something.

My drills receive constant use and abuse. For battery life I like DeWalt xrp. Makita is good too. those are pricey

I have been looking at Ryobi lately. The drill looks like it has all the features but I worry about replacing the batteries. I think that Ryobi is probably a good homeowner(occasional use) solution. The price on them seems good. I hate buying new batteries!

I have had a Craftsman 19.2EX for about 7 years and now without any problems. I use it daily, as i am in the building maintenance field. Never even had to replace the batteries

Dewalt makes a good 18 volt drill . I have 3 of them & one of them is about 8 years old & still woks great I use them everyday.

I have an 18V Black & Decker it is powerful light weight and easy to use.

I recommend trying several models in your hand (with the battery installed) before you buy.

i have a handyman one that came in a set and the batteries are not long lasting so whatever you decide on make sure that the batteries are a major facto in your decision.....