Mrs.P

How much does your 2-3 month old sleep during the day?

My daughter is about 11 weeks old and sometimes she sleeps practically all day, and still sleeps mostly through the night (only wakes up once to eat, then goes right back to sleep). I feel like she shouldn't be needing this much sleep by now. I was just wondering what other people's babies are/were like at this age.

Favorite Answer

it's so nice to hear others who have sleepy babies :o)

My daughter is 3 months now and has been a sleeper right from the start. She was feeding every hour or so till 4 weeks than slept through the night for the first time, I was worried and askerd my doctor at her 6 week check if it was ok and he said if she gets enough to eat in the day then she will happily sleep all night so don't worry.since about 2 months she has a sort of routine that she has gotten herself into which is change and feed at 7am, burped then a little play in her basket and a chatter untill she falls asleep until 10am for another change and feed, then a burp then another chatter and a sleep downstairs. I wake her at about 1pm for another change and feed. Then it's 3,5,7,9 and 11 for her feeding and changing, same as above. she is asleep most of the day, has her grizzle time between 7 and 9 lots of tears and crying :o( then promptly falls fast asleep so we wake her for her 9 and 11 feed and then it's right through the night for her. I think some babies get over stimulated very quickly and need a lot of down time and some can watch toys all day. Horses for courses I guess :o)

This is normal. Babies sleep A LOT during their first 3 months of life. When they pass the 3 month mark they begin to be more alert and more awake. At 4 months, she will probably nap around 3 times and then gradually the naps will decrease to 2, 1, and none.

Also, daytime sleep does not affect nighttime sleep for babies. It is said that a baby who naps well, sleep better at night. So if your baby seems to be sleeping a lot, just let her, this is when they grow and develop. One day you will wish she would sleep more!!

Best of luck

P.S. Are you sleeping when she is? You need your rest as well. I made the mistake of working on stuff while my baby was asleep and aggravated my sleep deprivation.

Since 7 weeks my daughter sleeps 9-10 straight hours at night time and sleeps prob a total of 2-3 hours during the day with all her naps combined.

• Bugsy

My daughter is 11 weeks too. She has 3 15min naps during the day and then feeds every 2 hrs through the night. I'm not sure she's sleeping enough! My son did what your daughter is doing tho. My HV said the more they sleep during the day-when they are tiny-the more they sleep at night. Thats def been true for our 2. When my daughter does spend the occasional day asleep she does much better at night. If she were mine I wouldn't worry but if you feel concerned, talk to your hv, that's what she is there for.

• tw9165

my son is 11 weeks as well...he doesn't sleep good at all...for about 5 weeks its been the same pattern , kinda.... he will have a morning nap about 1-2 hrs..than eat, than another afternoon nap 1-2-3 hrs..than up , up and up till about 7, has a quick 1-2 hr nap, than eat big meal, than off to bed . for about 2-6 hrs, just dependso n the night, he'll eat and usually go back to bed if it was a short nap. H'es just awake a LOT, and if i have company or I go somewhere with him, he will not sleep, no way. not happening lol.

At three months old my baby hardly napped. Maybe three 30 minute naps a day, but she slept 12 hours at night. At four months one of those 30 minute naps turned into a 1 1/2 hour nap. Now at five months she takes 2 2 hour naps.

babys sleep as much as they need!!

you could try waking her up if you think she is sleeping too much, i have a 16 wk old he sleepsfor 2 hrs after being awake for 3 hrs.

my daughter is only 5weeks old.... but i noticed one day she will sleep all day, up all night,,,, and then up all day sleep most the night and then be up half the day and night lol...... babies are constantly growing so i believe the change in sleeping and eating habits are due to this growing process...... i'd say if your baby seems healthy other wise and doesn't always do this, and is eating, and gaining and doing everything else fine that its nothing to worry about. Babies change thier habits constantly lol...... soon as we get used to them one way then they go and change it to confuse us!!!

my 7week old wakes once in the night and has about 3-6 hours of awake time in the day