Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

Help Translating!!! Latin?

Primis annis rei publicae, Cincinnato consule, magna altercatio (altercation) inter patres (patricians) et plebem (plebs) evenit. Causa erat pecunia, qua paene tota plebs premebatur. Plebs auxilium a consulibus petivit, sed id non accepit. Tandem plebs ad Sacrum Montem secessit; patribus sola spes erat in concordia civium, et consilium ceperunt . Plebi creare suos magistratos, appellatos tribunos, permiserunt.

Eodem tempore, senatores eum remanere consulem voluerunt (wanted). Cincinnatus senatoribus dixit, "Plebs eosdem tribunos iterum et iterum legere cupiebat. Illis hanc potestatem cedere noluistis (you did not want). Igitur, nunc vos non agere potestis (you are able) id quod non permisistis (you did not permit); me consulem iterum creari (to be made) non permittam." Alius consul factus est.

Update:

Last Paragraph...

Post paucos annos, hostis exercitum Romanum cinxit (surrounded). Hoc nuntiato, Cincinnatus consensu (consensus) omnium dictator dictus est. Legati (envoys), a senatu missi, eum trans Tiberim agros colentem invenerunt. Cincinnatus uxorem togam ferre (to bring) iussit. Tum, apte (appropriately) vestitus, ad urbem processit, celeriter exercitum liberavit, hostes sub iugum misit. Ad agrum rediit (he went back), et dictaturam sex menses acceptam sexto decimo (16th) die deposuit (de + pono).

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Use this website to translate... its free

http://www.stars21.com/translator/latin_to_english...

• 1 decade ago

A heavy gloss. Make sure you learn your participles well, they’re very common. Email if you have any questions.

-----

Primis annis[1] rei publicae, Cincinnato consule[2], magna altercatio inter patres et plebem evenit[3]. Causa erat pecunia, qua[4] paene tota plebs premebatur[5]. Plebs auxilium a consulibus[6] petivit[7], sed id non accepit. Tandem plebs ad Sacrum Montem secessit; patribus[8] sola spes erat[9] in concordia civium, et consilium ceperunt[10]. Plebi[11] creare[12] suos magistratos, appellatos tribunos[13], permiserunt.

Eodem tempore[14], senatores eum remanere[15] consulem voluerunt. Cincinnatus senatoribus[16] dixit, "Plebs eosdem tribunos iterum et iterum legere cupiebat[17]. Illis[18] hanc potestatem[19] cedere noluistis. Igitur, nunc vos non agere potestis id quod[20] non permisistis; me consulem iterum creari non permittam[21]." Alius consul factus est.

Post paucos annos, hostis exercitum Romanum cinxit[22]. Hoc nuntiato[23], Cincinnatus consensu omnium[24] dictator dictus est[25]. Legati, a senatu missi[26], eum trans Tiberim agros colentem[27] invenerunt. Cincinnatus uxorem togam ferre iussit. Tum, apte vestitus[28], ad urbem processit, celeriter exercitum liberavit, hostes sub iugum misit[29]. Ad agrum rediit, et dictaturam sex menses acceptam[30] sexto decimo die[31] deposuit[32].

-----

[1] “primis annis”: Ablative of time. Often translated with “in”, “on”, “at”, etc.

[2] “cincinnato consule”: Ablative absolute. Often translated with “while” or “when”, e.g. “when Cincinnatus was consul”. Alternatively, you could use “during”, i.e. “during the consulship of Cincinnatus”.

[3] “evenit”: “evenire” is often literally translated as “to come out”, but here, “to happen, occur”.

[4] “qua” = “by which”: rel. pron. ablative of means specifying how “plebs” was “premebatur”; “pecunia” is the antecedent.

[5] “premebatur”: Note that the conjugation is singular to agree with the “plebs”, which is one of those words that refers to a plural idea, e.g. “the common people, plebians, lower class”. In English you can translate plurally as “... the commoners were oppressed”, or retain the singular, “... the lower class was oppressed”.

[6] “a consulibus” = “from the consuls”: This is not an ablative of personal agent, i.e. not “by the consuls”. Ablative of agent is used only with the passive voice. cp [26].

[7] “petivit”: here, “beseeched/begged/asked”. Note that it can also mean “to attack; aim”, as well as “to seek”.

[8] “patribus”: dative, i.e. “for the ruling class”.

[9] “erat”: Translating with “was” is grammatically correct, but awkward in English. Alternatives could be “lay” or “rested”.

[10] “consilium ceperunt”: While the literal “seized a plan” works, “conceived/implemented a solution/policy” would work too.

[11] “plebi”: dative, indirect object of “permiserunt”; lit. “they allowed for the plebians...”.

[12] “creare”: This infinitive completes “permiserunt” and specifies what the patricians permitted the plebians to do; “magistros” is its object. (See the afternote on “complementary infinitives” at the end.)

[13] “appellatos tribunos” = lit. “having been called/named tribunes” = “called tribunes”: “appellatos” is the pl. acc. masc. past part. of “appello, appellare”; this is an example of how past participles serve as adjectives. cp. [26], [27], [28].

[14] “eodem tempore”: Ablative of time.

[15] “remanere”: Like “creare” in [12], this infinitive completes “voluerunt”.

[16] “senatoribus” = “to the senators”: dative, indirect object of “dixit”; cp. [11].

[17] “cupiebat”: Recall that the imperfect has several possibilities, including “kept wanting”.

[18] “illis”: dative, indirect object of “cedere”, lit. “yield to them”.

[19] “potestatem” = “power, authority”: This is a noun; don’t confuse with the following verb “potestis”.

[20] “id quod” = “that which”.

[21] “me ... creari non permittam”: Note the future tense of “permittam” as well as the passive compl. inf. “creari”. “me” is the reflexive “myself”, with “permittam”.

[22] “cinxit”: “cingo, cingere” generally means “to encircle/surround”. In this context, an alternative definition “to besiege/beleaguer” might be more descriptive.

[23] “hoc nuntiato” = “when this was announced”: ablative absolute.

[24] “consensu omnium” = lit. “by the consensus of everyone”: “consensu” is the ablative of means describing how he was “dictus”. Also, while the literal is acceptable, maybe consider “unanimously” as an alternative – yes, it’s an adverb, but you’ll find that many Latin nouns and adjectives in the ablative are often translated adverbially.

[25] “dictus est”: “dico, dicere”, along with “to say”, can also mean “to appoint/declare/designate”, especially in this context.

[26] “a senatu missi” = lit. “having been sent by the senate”: You can keep the commas, i.e. “the messengers, who were sent by the senate, ...”, or you can combine it directly with the associated noun, i.e. “the messengers sent by the senate ...”.

[27] “eum ... agros colentem”: “colentem” is the acc. pres. part. and modifies “eum”. Note that participles are “verbal” adjectives which means they can take the same constructs used by verbs, including direct objects, like “agros”. So, “agros colentem” could be rendered as “[him] tending his fields”.

[28] “apte vestitus”: Past participles can be translated into clauses with words such as “when”, “since”, and “although” (to name a few), e.g. “when he was appropriately dressed”.

[29] “sub iugum misit” = lit. “he sent them under the yoke (of subjection): “iugum mittere” is a military term meaning “to subjugate, enslave”. It generally refers to the capture, humiliation, and subsequent enslavement or execution of defeated prisoners of war.

[30] “dictaturam ... acceptam” = lit. “the dictatorship for six months having been received” = “the appointed six month dictatorship”: Don’t confuse the noun “dictatura” = “dictatorship” with the fut. part. of “dicto, dictare” = “to dictate; order; reiterate”.

[31] “sexto decimo die”: Ablative of time.

[32] “deposuit”: Along with it’s common translation of “to put down”, it also means “to resign from”.

-----

Complementary Infinitives

Certain verbs use the present infinitive of another verb to complete its meaning. Verbs like “debeo”, “volo”, and “possum” are examples. In fact, all the infinitives in the text are complementary infinitives. When translating them, they generally retain the “to”, e.g. “eos domum redire volui” = “I wanted them TO return home”. But, “hic remanere possum” = “I am able TO stay here” is also “I can stay here”.

That said, two things to note about this construct:

1) It’s always a present infinitive, as opposed to perfect and future infinitives.

2) Although it can take it’s own object, it follows the tense and subject of the verb it’s completing, e.g. “volo (volui) eum videre urbem” = “I want (wanted) him to see the city”.

Keep these in mind when you start on indirect statements, which is probably right around the corner for you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.