Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

How do I open ASD-files? I have two important documents that Word saved as ASD-files during a powercut.?

But Word can't open them!

Favorite Answer

ASD files are automatic backups of the original file, so word setup the backup file, you need to find the original file or select the file and when the dialog box comes up for what to do with it, select to choose a program from the list, and select word......the official from MS

Search for the original document

1. Click Start, and then click Search.

2. Click All files and folders in Search Companion on the left side of Microsoft Windows Explorer.

3. In the All or part of the file name: box, type the file name that you want to find.

4. In the Look in box, click My Computer, and then click Search.

5. If the results pane does not contain the file, continue with the following steps to search for all Word documents.

6. In the All or part of the file name: box, type *.doc, and then click Search.

Manually recover AutoRecover files

To search for AutoRecover files, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then click Search.

2. Click All files and folders in Search Companion on the left side of Windows Explorer.

3. In the All or part of the file name: box, type *.ASD.

4. In the Look in box, click My Computer.

5. Click Search.

If you find any files that have the .asd extension, follow these steps: a. Start Word.

b. Perform one of the following actions: • In Word 2007, click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Open.

• In Word 2003, click Open on the File menu.

c. In the File of type list, click All Files *.*

d. Locate and select the .asd file.

e. Click Open.

f. Restart the computer.

g. Start Word.

If Word finds the AutoRecover file, the Document Recovery task pane opens on the left side of the screen, and the missing document is listed as document name [Original] or as document name [Recovered]. If this occurs, perform one of the following actions: • In Word 2007, double-click the file in the Document Recovery task pane, click the Microsoft Office Button, click Save As, and then save the document as a .docx file.

• In Word 2003, double-click the file in the Document Recovery task pane, click Save As on the File menu, and then save the document as a .doc file.

• ?4 years agoReport

This worked perfectly. Just wish it had been the document I was hoping for ] -: But THANKS!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

But Word can't open them!

Source(s): open asd files important documents word saved asd files powercut: https://tr.im/KruDI
  • lindie

Asd File

Unfortunately, these generous and comprehensive tips don't work for my wife's WORD 2007. Maybe things have changed after six years! And WORD won't prompt for, or open, its own ASD files as advertised. The solution is much more complicated. Bad Microsoft! All it would require to make things simple is that WORD would recognise the ASD format (its own format) and open it. Is that so difficult? Thanks anyhow to everyone who wrote here, trying to help.

(In the end, I had to use the 'recover text from any file' and still found that WORD couldn't reliably recover its own ASD file, self-created only six hours previously. It was eventually able to read it, but with errors. Why on earth wouldn't any software be able to read its very own autorecovery files? It's beyond me.)

• atelic4 years agoReport

they all worked. well, .asd couldn't be opened from Explorer, right-click, open with...
      that's how i tried to work some "recovery" file yesterday. but it was after Word had shorted itself out somehow. again. quite common lately.

For Word 2010, see Manish Raghvani's response at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/of... . This worked to get the .asd file open. I couldn't SAVE it directly, but when I closed Word, it prompted me to save, and then it saved!

• Joseph S4 years agoReport

This solution worked for me. THANKS for the reference!

Want to GET YOUR TEXT back????

But....Word Wont recognize ASD?

SOLUTION!

right click the ASD file>>open with>>wordpad .... might work with notepad also but I didn't need to try that.

This doesn't preserve format BUT you still get the TEXT. So, just copy and paste needed text and reformat. Hopefully this saves you a lot of time like me :)

Pat

• Daryl3 years agoReport

Thnx. i was really strugglingand your suggestions helped me to get back the text. Now i can rework on formats of the document.

• nettie

Card Recovery in 3 Steps!

• Alcari

Official word from Microsoft:

To open a possibly damaged document, follow these steps: 1. Start Word.

2. On the File menu, click Open.

3. In the File of type list, click All Files *.*.

4. Select the file, and then click Open.

Sometimes you may find a file but are not able to open it. Or, you may open the file, but the document is damaged.

If that happens:

1. Start Word.

2. On the File menu, click Open, and then select the document that you want to recover.

3. In the Files of type box, click Recover Text from Any File (*.*), and then click Open.

To Open a Non-Word File

To use the "Recover Text from Any File" converter to recover text from a non-Word file, follow these steps: 1. Start Word.

2. On the Tools menu, click Options.

3. Click the General tab.

4. Click to select the Confirm conversion at Open check box, and then click OK.

5. On the File menu, click Open.

6. Select the file that you want to recover, and then click Open.

7. In the Convert File dialog box that appears, click Recover Text from Any File, and then click OK. Word converts and recovers text from the document.

The easiest way I found was to open up the file using Notepad++. In my case I could recover the contents of the file directly and paste them into Word again. Unformatted but I got everything back that I needed. Word 2013 did not recognize the file type to open nor would it open it as a recovered file.

You need not to manually open these files. Just start MS Word and it will prompt you about the recovered documents.

However, if you tried this and still failed, go the link given below on this topic.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316951

Follow the steps given in the article to recover your files.