Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

Immunity developed by environment?

Hi guys I'm doing a project on a real-life example I've experienced, but I REALLY need evidence for it, and I can't find much online. So please help. The idea is like this:

People born in relatively unhygienic environments develop a sort of 'resistance' to common diseases like common cold and asthma, food poisoning and other digestive problems. It's not 'immunity' since these ailments can still strike them, but it's like harder for these people to catch these diseases because they've been 'coexisting with the germs since birth'. Yeah, somehting like that. I know this for sure because I come from India and am currently in Singapore, so I can spot the differences. Also, my cousins in the US and Australia are less resilient to these diseases than my family back in India.

So any concrete evidence people? Please please please help me

Best Answer

Hi, ive done an assignment on the exact thing!

I hope this helps u, these are the recourses i used to help support my hypothesis.

"This essay will be addressing the Hygiene hypothesis as well presenting evidence to argue both fore and against the theory." This was the topic of my essay.

These were my resources:

Bach, J.F. (2005). Six questions about the hygiene hypothesis. Cellular Immunology. 233, 158-161.

Ege, M.J., Bieli, C., Frei, R., Van Strien, R., Riedler, J., Blagger, E., Schram-Bijkerk, D., Brunekreef, B., Van Hage, M., Scheynius, A., Pershagen, G., Benz, M.R., Lauener, R., Von Mutius, E., Braun-Fahrla’nder, C. and the PARSIFAL study team. (2006). Prenatal farm exposure is related to the expression of receptors of the innate immunity and atopic sensitization in school-age children. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 117(4), 817-823.

Folkerts, G., Walzl, G & Openshaw, P.J.M. (2000). Do common childhool infections ‘teach’ the immune system not to be allergic?. Immunology Today. 21(3), 118-120.

Hesselmar, B., Berg, A., Berg, B.A., Eriksson, B. and BJO Rkste'n, B. (1998). Does early exposure to cat or dog protect against later allergy development?. Clinical and Experimental Allergy. 29(5), 611-617.

Liu, A.H., Leung, D.Y.M. (2006). Renaissance of the hygiene hypothesis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 117, 1063-1066.

Namazi, M.R. (2004). A novel molecular mechanism to account for the hygiene hypothesis. Molecular Immunology. 42(6), 741.

Platts-Mills, T.A.E., Erwin, E., Heyman, P. & Woodfolk, J. (2005). Is the hygiene hypothesis still a viable explanation for the increased prevalence of asthma?. Allergy. 60(s79), 25-31.

Schaub, B., Lauener, R and Von Mutius, E. (2006). The many faces of the hygiene hypothesis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 117(5), 969-977.

Van Schayck, C.P, & Knotternus, J.A. (2004). No clinical evidence base to support the hygiene hypothesis. Primary Care Respiratory Journal. 13(2), 76-79.

Vercelli, D. (2006). Mechanisms of the hygiene hypothesis-molecular and otherwise. Current Opinion in Immunology. 18, 733-737.

I'm not aware of any recent evidence or studies about this subject, but you might try using historical examples, probably the best documented would be related to the settlement of the Americas and the higher mortality rates amongst the native peoples who were unexposed to the diseases brought in by European settlement try this link to a paper by Wolfe dealing with mortality rates in the native peoples of Alaska, http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0003-049X(1982040...

Hope that helps

Source(s): University Biology Studies
  • lellig

Evolution isn't purely the adaption to the ecosystem. it is likewise the evolution of animals right into a condition the place they have the terrific achievable possibility to stay to tell the story. it is organic decision; the animals that can't make it interior the international die, and people who stay on the longest get to mate extra, and pass on their features to the subsequent era. micro organism bobbing up immunity is evidence of evolution interior an identical way. micro organism is a existence sort and, as such, is going via evolution purely besides as different existence types will. via micro organism bobbing up immunity, we are able to make certain a classic occasion of a few thing adapting to the international and evolving via organic decision to furnish it the terrific achievable possibility to stay to tell the story. So I counter you; How ought to it not be an occasion of evolution?

• unnga

Look up Delhi Belly. Foreigners get them but not Delhi residents.