Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

my parents won't stop lecturing me about being vegan!!! They think I'm being too extreme. what should I do?

It's driving me nuts they won't stop talking!!! I've tried reasoning with them but they think I'm hurting my self and it won't make a difference. I know they care about me but GRRR it's making me mad.

I was veg for 2 year and I've been vegan for the last few months. I thought they were over this issue but they aren't. They're talking my ears off.

aaawww thanks scottie *your* a star ;)

thanks fluffycat you such a sweetheart ((((vegahugs)))))

Best Answer

You need to have a more general discussion about how you all work together to make decisions.

And in that process you absolutely respect their opinions and ideas, but there are times when you may not agree. Also make it clear that your diet choices are not a protest or some crazy rebellion thing, but a lifestyle choice.

Ask if this is really bothering them and they can not stop bringing it up an and bugging you about it then, you suggest we all go to a family counselor and dietitian expert. Then if they decline, respond with the same thing. Please stop bringing this up, I asked to go to an expert to help us discuss this issue and you declined. If you think it is so important, than I am sure you can find the time to go to the counselor. Also you need to pick out someone independent, not one of their friends.

It is a bit odd, I mean you could be eating fast food, chips and candy, soda etc, like most younger folks. I guess that would be OK? Show your parents my note.

a>

PS, be fair, do not nag them if they have a steak.

Hi Hala,

I cannot believe the rudeness of the answers you recieved.

Unfortunately, there are still people who say ''we need meat''. BUT we *don't need* meat!

It is perfectly possible to be healthy as a vegan. The founder of veganism, Donald Watson, lived into his 90's!!

Reassure your parents. Tell them that it is NOT just a phase. If this doesn't work, I think you should prove to them that you're still healthy. Be a role model for vegan health.

Meat eaters worry about veganism/vegetarianism because they cannot comprehend a life without meat.

Don't let them get you mad, my parents are driving me nuts too. Just don't let their comments upset you. I know it's difficult to ignore such comments, especially from a loved one.

Stay strong, be yourself.

Best wishes!

scottie :-)

[edit] fluffycat is right! You're an intelligent young woman.

Thumbs up for you, fluffycat! Tell them that the founder of veganism was vegan for 60 years of his 95 year life. Good luck, I hope you are alright :-)

i'm sorry that your loved ones is in this occasion yet what i do no longer comprehend is why they might unexpectedly eliminate your vegan nutrients? in basic terms because of the fact they're broke would not propose they could commence feeding your quickly nutrients, candies, or television dinners. i'm certainly at a loss for words. procuring pastas, rice, and beans out of bulk containers in the food market is extremely inexpensive and it lasts an prolonged time. different then that one and all you actual prefer are end result and greens. in case you're able to you will get canned greens with are commonly around 80 cents - a million dollar at Walmart. in the adventure that your into soy cheese and high priced vegan "snacks" then you definately will in basic terms could get a job to help your weight loss plan. there is not any way around it. study to stay devoid of or earn your very own money.

Hala, you've been around here long enough that I know you know what you're doing nutrition-wise, and I know that veganism is important to you. You may not ever be able to stop them from nagging you; you can only control your own reaction to it. Keep your cool and either don't engage them at all (best if they're being rude or abusive) or ask them their *specific* concerns and address them factually (best if they're not being cruel, but are genuinely worried because they don't have the knowledge.) Your best bet is to stick to your guns, feed yourself well, be healthy and fabulous - sooner or later they've got to notice that you're doing great and aren't hurting yourself. Do you have someone (a supportive friend or a veg*n online forum) you can vent to? Having someone to talk to who has been through it too goes a loooong way to quelling the anger and frustration, which in turn allows you to deal with your parents more rationally.

Make sure you have the right nutrition. And you can tell your parents that you are willing to get blood tests every few months. This will insure they know you are healthy- and they will stop bothering you about this. Honestly my father doesn't even know- when I take him out to dinner with my husband- i pick a veggie friendly restaurant- and he never finds out. Haha. I will tell him eventually- but he is just to pro meat, and I don't have to live with him. I did tell my mother- and she is all about it.

And I would suggest you give them a book- made for women- but its still a good read- a little bit of a shocker- but has tons of useful information to back up your choice.

Skinny B**ch. if you haven't already read it- they should. Who knows maybe they might take some of their meat eating habits out.

If they care about you- they should buy you some supplements to.

I also suggest you order a free Vegetarian starter kit @ goveg.com

you can show that to your parents- and they should understand the ethics behind it. Although skinny b**ch should cover all that. You can get that from your local library! :)

edit:

and those that think vegans don't get the right diet- well some don't

but isn't it true that most meat eaters are unhealthy! They don't get the required nutrition either. Being veg on the average- we live seven years longer!

I know the feeling, I recently became a vegetarian (I can't be a vegan.. man I need my cheese and eggs I know it's terrible and if you want to help animals you need to go the whole way but what would I eat?!?!?! EVERYTHING has milk in it and so many good foods - even veggie dishes at restaurants - have cheese on them...)anyway I feel I have no support from any of my family or friends, and they always make snide comments or jokes about it at dinner. "Oh hey want some chicken? Gravy on your potatoes? Oh that's right you don't eat meat. Oh well more for me. MMmm chicken"

SHUT UP god do I mock you for eating meat? No, I don't try to force MY Choices on you so why force yours upon me? I can understand that they're concerened, as well as your parents probably are too, about lacking certain nutrients that you can only get in meats but really, there are supplements and as long as you're smart about the way you eat and do your research then what's the problem? I know lots of very healthy vegans and vegetarians, and most are healthier than meat eaters.

Just tell your parents to let you make your own "mistakes" in life and that you could be doing a lot worse things. When you say stuff like that it makes them happy, cuz it's kind of like telling them you know they're right, but you don't actually have to agree with them. See what I'm saying? I hope so. (If not... I'm not saying what you're doing is a mistake! I'm on your side!)

Good luck!

Yes, man is not carnivorous; he is herbivorous.

"From a physiological standpoint human beings differ from carnivorous animals. Their teeth, unlike the lion's, are not made for tearing flesh. All the functions of the human body are created for love and goodfellowship and it is evident that the continuation of this world of humanity depends upon the practice of these attributes and the destruction of the world of humanity lies in war and conflict. But through long custom and usage savagery and blood-thirstiness are kneaded into the very being of man and the Godlike attributes which contribute to the powers of treaty-making and international laws have not been sufficiently strong to stem the tide of warfare."

(Abdu'l-Baha, Divine Philosophy, p. 179)

If you are sure you are getting a proper balance of proteins in your diet (the most critical thing for a vegan), then ignore your parents. When they criticize, just smile at them and don't respond. You have tried reasoning, and it didn't work, so the next tactic is non-response. If your mother (or father) go on and on, wait for a break and say, "Are you finished for today? Can we talk about something important to me for a change?" Just don't react, and don't respond to their statements.

I understand about not wanting to eat animals. I would have your parents go see a nutritionist with you so you can get proper information about what foods you should be eating together. Being a Vegan is difficult and you can end up with nutritional defiencies easily. If you and your parent have the right information then you will be ok and they'll see what you have to eat and know that you're getting proper nutrition.

I usually break people's arguments down for them. Show them the light... so to speak.

For instance, I had a coworker that kept telling me that vegetarianism was unhealthy, so I decided to get some labs drawn and challenged her to do the same. Once we compared the results... she shut up.

Whatever their argument is, you have to systematically show how everything they are saying is wrong. If they say you don't make a difference, show them statistics showing how many animals are saved each year simply because people choose to be veg*ns. If they say it is unhealthy, compare your own lab results to thiers, etc., etc. Not in a vengeful, "in your face" type manner, but calmly show them they have no idea what they are talking about.