Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

population assignment about china and ethiopia?

look at the pic i have by clicking and can you please help me by giving me ideas to write for this 4 paragraph please thank you. http://i25.tinypic.com/j7z1ms.jpg

Update:

need it today

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Laila
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

i cant really rite a letter but dis is some info bout their population ...

plzz vote me best answer

Population and Environment Linkages

Ethiopia’s population of 72 million is increasing by 2 million people, or 2.5 percent, each year. According to Haile, this growth rate “hides some regional variation that is extremely important.” Eighty-five percent of the population lives in rural areas, mainly in the central and northeastern highlands, where population growth and poverty are much higher than in urban areas.

As the population increases, more and more land is deforested and over-farmed. Forest coverage has declined from 40 percent 75 years ago to only 3 percent today. People must travel farther and farther to find firewood, the principal fuel, which reduces time spent farming. Without firewood, many resort to burning animal dung, instead of using it to fertilize their depleted soil. Without trees to help hold it in place, the soil erodes from the steep highlands. As a result, many previously habitable areas have now been transformed into dry lands and deserts.

This vicious cycle exacerbates the effects of Ethiopia’s droughts, leading to severe and ever more frequent crises. The 2003 famine affected more than 13 million people, and at least 6 million people now suffer from permanent food insecurity. But drought is not entirely to blame, as Haile wryly pointed out: Ethiopia “faces famine when we have a bumper harvest and when we have drought” since the amount of arable land per person is so low (1/2 hectare for 8 people). Ethiopia’s population growth compromises its ability to achieve the productivity gains necessary to break the cycle and eradicate extreme poverty and hunger.

This situation is highly unstable, and could make Ethiopia vulnerable to future conflict. Haile pointed out that the country meets six of the eight demographic criteria associated with instability and conflict in The Security Demographic (Cincotta et al., 2003):

a high proportion of young adults;

rapid urban population growth;

diminishing levels of per capita cropland;

high mortality rates among working-age adults;

differential growth rates among ethnic groups; and

rapid migration.

The youth bulge is especially prominent: since Ethiopia’s school age population of 21 million is 29 percent of the population, Haile believes that “how we address the youth challenge today will determine whether we are heading in the right direction or not.”

• 1 decade ago

Ethiopia has 77 million population and increasing 2million people per a year (22.5%) life exeriance 48 and .........

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

srry but i can treally read it so idk if i can help u...

did u check the internet, public loibrary, or encyclopedia??

if u didnt those might help out....

Source(s): me
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.