How do I wash a newly tie dyed shirt?

My friends and I had a tie dye party and dyed several shirts, bags, and socks. We used a kit with the different colored dyes in bottles. We let them sit for 5-6 hours like the instructions specified and then we undid the rubber bands. The colors are so vibrant, but we need to wash them. I am afraid that the dye will run or fade.

How do I wash my shirts with out ruining the tie dye?

Thanks!

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

DO NOT wash in hot water.

Why didnt you rinse the items out after you dyed them? Im surprised the instructions didnt tell you to do this.

Rinse each of your items singly in cold water in a bucket or such until the colour stops coming out, Dont worry this is just the excess dye.

When you have done that and there is no more dye running, then you can put them all in the wash & wash in cold to warm water with some detergent. This will remove any further dye.

I just hope that by not rinsing & then washing them when they where first done you havent lost the tie dye effects you had originally.

Also it would have been good to say what kind of dyes they where & the brand, and perhaps what types of fabric you where dyeing.

DO NOT do what Radean suggests. These are newly tie dyed items.

• 3 years ago

Tie Dye Washing Instructions

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How do I wash a newly tie dyed shirt?

My friends and I had a tie dye party and dyed several shirts, bags, and socks. We used a kit with the different colored dyes in bottles. We let them sit for 5-6 hours like the instructions specified and then we undid the rubber bands. The colors are so vibrant, but we need to wash them. I am...

Source(s): wash newly tie dyed shirt: https://tr.im/e9zvV
  • 3 years ago

How To Wash Tie Dye

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

If your dye came in a kit, maybe there's a website describing care and feeding of tie-dyed articles. If not, check the package to see if it says anything about vinegar. If there's no ban on vinegar, soak your dyed items in a bucket of water with a cup or two (depending on the size of the bucket) of vinegar stirred in. Stir in the vinegar before adding clothes, of course. Vinegar helps set many types of dyes.

After a good long soak in the vinegar, wash your items in the washing machine with a very little gentle soap (like Woollite or the generic version thereof) and the coldest water the machine will run. Always wash them in cold to keep your colors brilliant, but after the first 2-3 washings you can use normal detergent.

• 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/noFks

You can wash them all together, because the Jacquard tie-dye kits contain good Procion fiber reactive dyes. It's only Rit all-purpose dye that must be washed separately. After you have allowed the shirts you dyed with the Jacquard kit to sit for 24 hours, all of the dye molecules have fully reacted, either with the fabric or with the water. At that point, it is completely safe to dump everything in the washing machine together and wash them. I always wash them first in cool water, together, but you've already done this step by rinsing them individually in the sink. The nest step is to wash them all together in HOT water, 140°F or higher if possible. It often takes two hot-water washes to get all of the excess dye out. Only hot water will remove the last bits of unattached excess dye. There is always excess dye to wash out, with this type of dye. Once you've gotten it all out, it is safe to wash the shirts at any temperature with even white clothing. If any dye transfer occurs between shirts at this point, hot water will wash it out. If you wash your tie-dyes out after only four to six hours, some of the dye may still be active. At that point, it is not safe to wash different colors together. It is safe to wash all of the different colors together only after you have allowed plenty of time for all of the dye to react. In a room that is 70°F or warmer, twenty-four hours is plenty.

• 1 decade ago

Cold water, separately. Mild detergent. Hang up to dry. After the first wash, you'll be able to throw them in with the regular wash.

• 5 years ago

Recently I purchased a Men's Jared Lang shirts ,But mistakenly I wash it normally ,which is my big fault ,Now the shirt has lost its color and quality .How wil I get back its quality .

• 1 decade ago

Step 1:

Read the care label. Most tie-dyed fabrics and garments can be washed in warm or cold water. Wash your garment accordingly. If there are any stains, spray them with pre-treatment spray and let the spray soak into the fabric for a few minutes. Use a spray that does not contain any bleach; this can harm the color in the fabric.

Step 2:

After treating any stains, place the shirt in the washer and add detergent. Be sure to use a gentle soap that contains no bleach.

Step 3:

After washing the shirt, hang it up to air-dry or lay it flat to dry. Air drying helps keep colors bright and reduces fading.

Homemade Tie-Dye

Step 1:

Pre-treat any stains as needed. Let the garment sit for 5-10 minutes after spraying to let the spray soak into the fabric.

Step 2:

Handwash the shirt in cold water. Let the shirt soak in a bath of cold water with washing detergent for 10-15 minutes. Using your hands, gently rub the fabric together to remove dirt and grime. Wring out water and soap, then rinse the shirt in cold water to remove any lingering soap. Wring out all excess water.

Step 3:

Let the shirt air-dry to preserve the color. Iron on a low setting if needed.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Wash them inside out and in hot water. Washing a garment inside out retains the colors of your colthes longer. It especially works for all solid colors, keeping them vibrant wash after wash.

Source(s): that's how i wash my clothes! And they all look brand new, even after 1,000's of washes.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.