Need help. My daughter reverted potty training?

My 3 year old had been potty trained for about 8 months when she stopped using the toilet for her BMs. She asks to use a pull up for her BMs, so it isn't a question of controlling it.

It has been 3 months since she reverted, so I have tried EVERY type of incentive. I am embarrassed to say what I have offered her in exchange for going on the toilet.

At this point, I think I don't really understand why she is doing this. She is not motivated by anything. My husband offered to take her to Chuck E Cheese this weekend if she went and, of course, when asked she said that she would rather go in her pants than to go to Chuck E Cheese.

If anyone can explain what might be going on developmentally, I would appreciate it. I am just so frustrated.

Favorite Answer

I think it is simple lack of comfort. For my daughter I researched and found a safe stool with sides for the toilet. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

She felt completely stable and relaxed. Also I always put toilet paper over the water so that there was never a splash. She was able to have easy BMs and did not hold it in. This stool made all the difference and was well worth it.

Hope this helps.

I would definately make sure you have a stool she can touch flat footed when she has a BM, or have her in a potty where her feet can touch the floor flat footed.

I'm 5 feet and the outhouse at my mom's lake lot is really high so my toes barely touch the floor and I always find that BM's are easier when there's a stool or something in there to put my feet on, otherwise my legs get really sore from trying to get my feet flat on the floor.

It may sound silly but it really makes a huge difference

I would say this is a power thing for her...she has alot of power.....

First get rid of the pull ups.....???why would you even still have them???

Second of all go back to the basics...send her to the bathroom every half hour to "potty"...eventually she will "hit the goal"

And last she knows what she is doing now.....make her take the poop to the potty...show her how to wash out her own underwear ( unless of course it really is an accident...)......Make it MORE work for her to go in her pants...than to go on the pot

Source(s): Mom of 3 (14,9,13mths), Daycare Provider