Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

What are some things that really disturb you about the holocaust?

I just got done reading the book night, and reading some other things about the holocaust and i learned a lot of things that are really disturbing, have you ever came upon some facts like that?

Favorite Answer

The Holocaust is, in my opinion and the opinion of many others, the most disturbing, horrifying event in history. I think many of us only catch parts of what really happen and when you really read on it and dig deep, it's unimaginable. I've been learning about the Holocaust since I was in high school and really didn't get the whole picture until I read a book last year on Jewish survivors and their personal stories that I really understood the whole picture. There are so many incredulous stories most of them shocking because it's so unimaginable the people could do such atrocities to another human being with no thought and no remorse and so calculated. I'm not sure if you really want stories and I don't know if I this is the place to tell some of these stories so I can't. One fact that really bothers me is the USA (and so many other countries) turned away Jewish people who were trying to escape because our government didn't want to get involved. Much of this was part of our "isolationism" practices of the 1930s as during this time President Wilson(?) was targeting foreigners, harassing and torturing them, taking away their rights, and kicking them out of the country so they weren't interested in more foreigners coming into America. Much like Bush is doing now. To think by giving asylum to those Jewish people how many would have been saved and they were desperate. It is shameful the USA didn't do more for the Jewish people of Europe. Another fact I thought was interesting - people always ask why the Jewish people didn't just leave when things started getting strange (in the beginning). Many of the Jewish people really refused to believe what they thought were rumors of the German atrocities so they stayed, followed German orders thinking it was for the best and refused to give up the homes and lifestyles they worked for - until it was too late. They firmly believed the Germans were "civilized people" incapable of such horror. I can't imagine the horror and fear those people experienced. Sometimes when I feel sorry for myself for some silly, minor thing, thinking about the personal stories I've read about puts life in perspective for me. I enjoy reading about the Resistance movements and the righteous gentiles.

To think this only happened 60 years ago. It's good to learn about it. People need to be aware what humans are capable of - incredible strength and resilience AND incredible horror.

The horrific murders. Seeing the pictures of the stacks of bodies. This isn't completely related but reading Corrie ten Boom's story about the treatment of those who helped Jews. It was awful. And the story of Anne Frank, not just her diary but what happened afterwards. She died only a few weeks before the camp was freed.

• mischa

The most disturbing thing to me is that a normal society could degenerate itself into thinking what they were doing was for the good and betterment of society. How could a society justify the murder and treatment of a segment of itself? I don't understand how they could get Christain and Jewish doctors and nurses to go along and justify their medical experiments? It is just mind boggling to me.

Uhhh ya it's soooooooooo disturbing for realllll like the pics on the interntet interesting but realll and the books wow theyre amazing and sad

The whole thing is disturbing to me. that someone could treat another human being that way simply because they believe different. It boggles my mind and hurts my heart. Nobody deserves to be treated the way those Jewish people were.

What disturbed me the most, & I recall having learned this fact when I read Night, was the fact that innocent babies were burnt in ovens :(

Yes, I watched an episode of Oprah were she went to a museum where they had actual piles of shoes behind the glass of people that were murdered as well as piles of hair of people whose heads were shaved before they were murdered. Horrible picture in my mind that I did not know, nor will I soon forget.

Such as the murder of 6 million jews?