Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 decade ago

Is their a vitamin supplement you can take if you are pron to infections to build up your immunity?

I do not consider myself unhealthy and I rarely get sick but after every surgery or procedure I have I always get an infection, nothing ever goes smooth afterwards. I also tend to heal very, very slow. Is there a vitamin I can take to help build my immune system to make it stronger?

Also wanted to let you know I alway's keep the site clean and covered. I get infections when I have surgeries that are internal not just external. I recently had to get a D&C and sure enough I got an infection from in 3 wks later.

• Best Answer

Vitamin C is usually used.

if you're taking long-term steroid treatment, like prednisone, that would make you heal slowly. often drs. write for prednisone after certain surgeries to reduce inflammation. however, a short term steroid treatment will not reduce your immune system as a long term course does.

there's been a lot of studies with vitamin C and zinc in combating colds and the like. do NOT take herbal supplements if you're taking other medications - esp. without checking with your physician first.

are you keeping the surgical site clean, dry, and covered?

I have a really weak immune system and was sick all the time, I just asked my doc what would be a good multi-vitamin for me and he wrote in on a piece of paper I went to Walgreen's and bam haven't gotten sick for a few months

There's a vitamin supplement out there called Ultimate immunity. It's great stuff. You take a few a day unless you feel like you're getting sick. Then you take a bunch to help your body fight whatever it is you have.

Echinacea boosts the immune system and enhances lymphatic function. Echinacea stimulates the overall activity of the cells responsible for fighting all kinds of infection. Unlike antibiotics, which are directly lethal to bacteria, Echinacea makes our own immune cells more efficient in attacking bacteria and viruses.