Racism In Canada?

Do you think canada is doing enough to stop racism?

Best Answer

There really is not much active talk about racism in Canada and how to solve it, but I do think that when comments are made publicly by the media or government officials, people are certainly made to apologize.

For example, there was a native leader Ahenakew who made racist comments about immigrants and Jews, and he was stripped of many titles that were given to him by the government, and this story made the news.

Also, there were several places of worship that were attacked by vandals after 9/11, and there was media coverage explaining not to target groups because of what they have to offer.

I do feel however, there needs to be more racial diversity on Canadian made television, particularly on stations like CBC, CTV and Global, who tend to ignore large visible minorities such as South Asians and Chinese etc. Most commercials either have White or Black people. Passively ignoring the largest visible minorities in Canada is a form of racism in itself.

Furthermore, more education in schools about different cultures needs to exist. I grew up in Mississauga as well, but have lived across Canada, and most people do not know much about East Indians (my ethnicity) and sometimes are oblivious to what my background is and isn't. This even exists back in Ontario, where many East Indians live.

In conclusion, although racism in Canada is no where near the levels of the States or certain parts of Europe, we can still improve upon educating ourselves about respecting and acknowleding the presence of other races in Canada.

I'm not sure what part of Canada you are referring too, but where I come from (Mississauga, which is just outside of Toronto) there was a great deal of diversity and everyone seems to get along great. I know when I was growing up and we would play street hockey, there were kids of many different ethnicity's; Asian, Muslim, Black, White, and Hispanic. Now having moved to America, I am truly seeing the full impact true racism has. Having never really heard the "N" word used so viciously (heck, I had never even heard it used negatively besides on TV or in movies) I can understand the intense mania over the word for the first time. So as for what Canada is doing about stopping racism, I never really saw it as an issue in the first place, let alone something that needs to be "fixed".

Source(s): Experience
  • CCC

They think they are but they are not Even the UN has said so.

A new federal law the criminal code was updated to cover cyber crimes.

Canada has no special laws to protect the disabled or minorities so it is interesting to note that the census is now saying in Canada there are more interracial families and more minoriites.

Canada is truely becoming more culturally mixed like the US. that can a good thing.

• krupsk

No Canada is not doing enough to stop racism. They prevent blacks from moving to Canada with all of that cold weather, hockey, and polite manners. They should be ashamed of themselves.

I think that Jeremiah Wright should go to Canada as our ambassador to straighten those Canucks out.