TOUGH question...we want to get pregnant...should we rent for a year, or go ahead and buy house?

we make about 46k, year. when she has a baby, obviously we lose a portion of income for a while. my reasoning is to get pregnant, rent for a year, save a lot of money for a good downpayment on a house, pay off most of our car payment, and while we rent we can get used to some of the costs after having a baby.... show more we make about 46k, year. when she has a baby, obviously we lose a portion of income for a while.

my reasoning is to get pregnant, rent for a year, save a lot of money for a good downpayment on a house, pay off most of our car payment, and while we rent we can get used to some of the costs after having a baby. ...and do that w/o a $700 house payment, plus insurance, taxes on a house.

my wife thinks we should buy a house first, for security, and then have a baby after moved in.

she thinks i am crazy, but i like having the $ to incur the baby costs so we know what we are getting into when we buy, and we can tell what we can REALLY afford in a house payment then.