So both my grandmothers are windowers?? How do I address their wedding invites?

Mrs. Jane Doe ok??

Favorite Answer

My grandma has been a widower for some time now, and vast majority of her mail is addressed to her as Mrs. John Doe. If I send her an informal letter, like a holiday card, then I usually just put Mrs. Jane Doe. However, for more formal events, like graduations, my family addresses it Mrs. John Doe. Hope this helps!

Actually, strict etiquette says you address a widow as Mrs. (Husband's First Name) (Last Name), and not by her given name. There are several widows invited to our wedding, but some of them I thought would not want to be addressed with their husband's name, so I addressed some to Mrs. John Doe and some to Mrs. Jane Doe. Nobody has commented about either.

Yes, Mrs. Jane Doe is how she would be addressed.

• JM

You use Mrs. Jane Doe. That is fine. Technically if you are inviting a woman alone to something and she is still married (not widowed) you use Mrs. John Doe. It's not done too much anymore though.

P.S. I was amused by your typo windowers! Typos happen.

Yeah. Say Mrs. Whoever.

Maybe at the wedding you could do something in remembrance of your grandfathers like give your grandmothers each a rose with a ribbon attached holding a picture of the grandfather. Or lay it on the seat he would have sat in had he been living.

Just like you wold if she was married, just leave your grandpas name off. Mrs. Jane Smith

She's a widow so her name is still the same.

Mrs. Jane Smith

yes, Mrs. whatever

For close relatives, why be so formal. Grandma would work for me.