So both my grandmothers are windowers?? How do I address their wedding invites?

Mrs. Jane Doe ok??

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

My grandma has been a widower for some time now, and vast majority of her mail is addressed to her as Mrs. John Doe. If I send her an informal letter, like a holiday card, then I usually just put Mrs. Jane Doe. However, for more formal events, like graduations, my family addresses it Mrs. John Doe. Hope this helps!

• 1 decade ago

Actually, strict etiquette says you address a widow as Mrs. (Husband's First Name) (Last Name), and not by her given name. There are several widows invited to our wedding, but some of them I thought would not want to be addressed with their husband's name, so I addressed some to Mrs. John Doe and some to Mrs. Jane Doe. Nobody has commented about either.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, Mrs. Jane Doe is how she would be addressed.

• JM
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

You use Mrs. Jane Doe. That is fine. Technically if you are inviting a woman alone to something and she is still married (not widowed) you use Mrs. John Doe. It's not done too much anymore though.

P.S. I was amused by your typo windowers! Typos happen.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yeah. Say Mrs. Whoever.

Maybe at the wedding you could do something in remembrance of your grandfathers like give your grandmothers each a rose with a ribbon attached holding a picture of the grandfather. Or lay it on the seat he would have sat in had he been living.

• 1 decade ago

Just like you wold if she was married, just leave your grandpas name off. Mrs. Jane Smith

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

She's a widow so her name is still the same.

Mrs. Jane Smith

• 1 decade ago

yes, Mrs. whatever

• 1 decade ago

For close relatives, why be so formal. Grandma would work for me.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.