Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What is a "fluffy bunny?"?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"Fluffy Bunny" refers to someone claiming to be a practicing Pagan, Witch, or Wiccan and actually is just going through the motions for the appearance of being a said practioner.

Most Teenagers (Goth, Emo, Punks, ect) are the source of this name. They are the ones that "say" they are for the shock value more so than the true belief. Don't get me wrong though, there a few older people that are more "Fluff" and think they are a true Pagan, when in most cases, they are just trying to find their place in the world and think they have "special" abilities or found something in their ancestoral background that makes them so. They read a few books and WHAM they think their practicing Pagans.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

I think that there is a big difference. The problem is that most "fluffies" call themselves "Eclectic," which confuses the issue. A fluffy is someone who has no grasp of history, and very little understanding of the Craft, but refuses to learn. They think that Wicca is whatever they want it to be, and that anyone who tells them otherwise is intolerant, judgemental, or dogmatic. They are, on the one hand, very close-minded to certain books, authors, and traditions that they erroneously think are "Dark," and on the other hand, so open-minded that their brains have fallen out. For some of them, Wicca is a political statement. For some it justifies their animosity against Christianity, or against Men, or against their parents, or against the "Normals" in general. For some it is fantasy fulfillment. It makes them feel like they have control in an otherwise overwhelming world where they previously felt completely powerless. Some have lost touch, to some extent, and think that they're living an episode of Charmed, or they can't tell the difference between Wicca and a D&D game -- the sorts of people who cast spells with a d20. Some fluffies are simply young dabblers -- some will grow out of it, and some will grow into it. Others are simply posers who are using the Craft to look cool. So the difference between an Eclectic and a Fluffy is whether or not you know what you're doing, or care to. An Eclectic takes an experimental approach to Magick, using what works from a variety of traditions. Eclecticism takes a lot of research, a lot of work. Fluffies often call themselves "Eclectic" because they think it excuses them from doing the research. But, as the old saying goes, you have to know the rules before you can break them.

• 1 decade ago

Some people think that a fluffy bunny is just an eager beginner, but it isn't. Some people incorrectly believe that all pagans/wiccans/witches are fluffies at first. I wasn't. Most people aren't. Usually a fluffy bunny someone who has heard about Wicca or Witchcraft via 'Charmed' or 'The Craft' and have read a Silver Ravenwolf book. They are not actual Wiccans/Witches, despite what they think. Their lack of education on the subject is astounding.

A fluffy bunny really is a know-nothing who has a whitelighter cotton-candy (and often delusional) outlook on life who believes that Wicca is an ancient religion. They think life is an episode of 'Charmed' or 'Buffy', go around shouting "Oh Goddess," and have a persecution streak a mile wide. These are the people who think that Silver Ravenwolf is the be all and end all authority on Wicca, Witchcraft, and life in general and that by reading one of her books, you are immediately imbued with wonderful magical powers, like the girls in 'The Craft' or 'Practical Magic'. They are so deluded and so comfortable in their ignorance that no matter how gently you try to correct them, they scream, "No, you're wrong, you don't know anything! I read one of Silver Ravenwolf's books so I know everything! You're just jealous!" so most people just give up. They also are the ones who make up stories like, "My great-grandma was a witch and I inherited all my powers from her" and then get mad when nobody believes them.

Real Witches and real Wiccans cannot stand them and we avoid them like the plague.

Source(s): Pagan/witch for 14 years.
  • 1 decade ago

For me it is someone who takes all the "nice stuff" from as many religions and occult practises as possible, molds them into one big pile off "gloop" and says "I am a pagan"; then says everyone else is right as long as they dont have strong views.

A fluffy bunny is likely to cast runes, read horoscopes, turn their money to the moon, ghost hunt, pray to Hindu, Norse, Saxon and Native American gods (plus more), try to meditate to find Nirvana, preach love and peace, burn incense and have no real view about anything but believe that they do. They are likely to buy loads of Llewellyn style books, have a horde of crystals, angel cards, tarot cards, Ogham cards, dream catchers, broomsticks, cauldrons, athemes, bolines, and any other mumbo-jumbo totally unrelated to their last purchase that the local alternative shop sells. They will make pilgrimages to any cultural site (Glastonbury, Avebury, Stonehange, Taj Mahal, anywhere) believing they can "feel the energy man".

Fluffies get really upset when you question them or state fact or have strong faith in any one path. They believe everyone is a "good person" and can't understand it when they find out that isn't true. Fluffies generally dislike reconstructionists and think Wiccans are the next best thing to Tolkien's Elrond and Gandalf, even though they know nothing about recon's and only the first two or three lines of the Wiccan Rede. That doesn't stop a fluffy saying "I'm a Wiccan" though, nor does it stop them saying "I can do the runes" (whatever thats meant to mean!). They like picnics and camping in the woods and everyday is sunshine and bliss in their fantasy world. They will often have flowers in their hair and generally look like 1967/8 never ended.

Overall fluffies are just hippies finding their way or easily lead wimps. They really annoy me.

Source(s): over 20 years a Recon Norse Heathen
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's an elitist term that some Pagans have for newbies and dabblers -- usually youngsters who claim to be Wiccan or Pagan, but don't have a very deep understanding of it, and generally make it look silly. I always say that they'll either grow out of it, or they'll grow into it. We should be helping them to learn and grow in their chosen spiritual path, not chasing them away by calling them insulting names. Fluffy Bunny is a term that the Pagan Community needs to drop. Everyone is a Newbie at first, and you've got to start somewhere. Besides, most if not all serious Pagans could have been called Fluffy in their first few years of practice.

Edit to add;

That special species of Fluffy, the ones that Isaac Bonewits calls "Dark Fluffy," and Abriel calls "darkchyles" -- I call them Baby Bats. These are the ones who dress Goth and try to convince you that they're vampires. Really, they're even more clueless than the classic "White Light" Fluffy Bunny, and definately more into it for the shock value. Again, they'll either grow up and grow out of it, or they'll find a decent book or a real teacher and grow into it.

Source(s): Wiccan
  • Abriel
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

A fluff bunny is a term that Neopagans use to describe someone who claims the religion but might have read only one book on it, is either very uneducated in that he or she may not even have the basic minimum understanding of the concepts, acts very immature and basically acts like they are in it for the shock value and all the other wrong reasons, and is generally just willfully ignorant with no desire to improve their knowledge or behavior and makes the rest of us look bad.

Some fluff bunnies will only focus on the "good, light" things of whatever path they are on and throw out all the "bad, dark, scary" stuff and disregard it. Those are a special subset of fluff bunny called "white lighters". Conversely you also have the fluffies who focus on all the dark stuff in order to come across as cool and bad@$$...those are what I like to refer to as the "darkchyles", and they are equally as annoying if not moreso than the "white lighters".

You also have the ones who pick and choose whatever they want from many paths and lump it altogether in a huge confusing spiritual gloop that doesn't make sense and contradicts itself in many places. They call it being eclectic, but there are eclectics out there who are not fluffy. There is a fine line, but there are eclectics out there who don't cross it. I know a few.

Some Pagans find the term offensive. I would invite those who do to take an honest look at themselves and examine exactly why they find it offensive.

• xx.
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

http://wicca.timerift.net has an excellent page about fluffy bunnies.

In relation to the Wiccan religion, a fluffy bunny is someone who is a poser and really isn't serious about the religion. They scream "persecution!" when someone asks them a question they can't answer. They claim Wicca predates Christianity. They claim 9 million Wiccans were killed during the "burning times". They refuse to believe Gerald Gardner founded the religion 60 years ago. They feel that being Wiccan requires them to either dress goth or hippie. They wear several pounds worth of pagan jewelery. They respond to any question about Wicca with "we HARM NONE!!!!". They automatically assume that everyone is trying to make them out to be Satanists. They go on about "goddess power", and often remark about how good, full of light, and peaceful the goddess is (often ignoring the god). They quote the author who goes by Silver Ravenwolf, or they find one book on Wicca and treat it as the final authority on everything. They try to levitate, or think that spells can defy the basic laws of physics. They refuse to learn, or admit that they may be wrong. They call any Wiccan who tries to correct them an ignorant Christian who is just trying to persecute them (this is from a personal experience- I told a fluff that Wicca wasn't ancient and she called me a stupid ignorant Christian, even though I'm Wiccan).

• 1 decade ago

As Jeff Foxworthy MIGHT have said------"If you jingle when you walk from the tons of Wiccan jewelry you wear; if you swoon when you get close to crystals; if your altar rivals the Catholic Church for ornamentation and has enough candles to burn Chicago down again; if you have had 47 past lives and they were all shamans, or in Atlantis, Lemuria, or burned at the stake; or if you call your self 'Lady Pixie Moondrip of the Otherworldly Fey'------you might be a fluffy bunny."

• 1 decade ago

I use the term fluffy to describe anyone who subscribes to the idea that pagans/heathens are all about pink glittery love and light and nothing bad will ever happen so long as you harm none. They also have the tendency to claim anything published by Llewellyn as undisputable proven fact. And as HP said the whole 'adopt any given culture's tradition(s), change it/them, and/or mish mash it/them with any other culture's tradition(s) however you see fit' is totally disrespectful and only perpetuates ignorance, imho.

• 1 decade ago

A willfully ignorant and very uneduacted person who attempts to claim some form or another of paganism but really just makes us all really, really bad.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.