eating 1 meal a day???

When I get up in the morning, the very last thing I want to do is eat something. Whenever I force myself to eat breakfast it's like I'm starving the rest of the day and cannot stop eating and I start gaining weight. I personally like to eat a balanced meal between 2-4 and drink lots of water in between. I lose/maintain my weight. I guess my question is, am I right to think that eating 3 or even more meals a day may not be for everyone. Who came up with this notion about eating several small meals a day, starting you metabolism, etc...

I lost 25 pounds 3 years ago w/ Weight Watchers. I loved the program. I would eat most of my points in one sitting.

Thanks for your input...and please be nice...

Favorite Answer

you need to eat 5 small meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism up, get your heart pumping first thing in the morning also, that gets your metabolism flowing. drinking water and greentea also does these things and keeps you healthy. i hate eating, i'm not anorexic or anything, but i really hate to eat..it's not for every one but i force myself to...i hate saying this on the internet and you probably do not agree with it but usually i smoke marijuana to make me want to eat.

• Wendy

Did you see a nutritionist before you changed your diet? How tall are you? Usually, if you are extremely obese then a diet consisted of only liquid would be given to you by a nutritionist. If you used to eat 6 meals a day then you don't need to go from 6 to 1 meal because this will cause your body to think that it's starving and cause it to conserve the calories and nutrition that you consumed in that one meal. In this case, it will hinder your ability to lose more weight faster and you don't want that. Instead, have only 3 meals a day: breakfast, lunch, dinner). The second you wake up, have breakfast, which should be the biggest meal out of the 3. Lunch should be the second largest and dinner should be more of a snack rather than a full meal. This is due to the way your metabolism starts the second you have that first meal and decreases to an almost stop when you sleep. When having lunch, have it around 1-3 pm instead of at 12 exactly. Cut down on any food that contains multiple preservatives (ie: McDonald's, BK, Chef Boyadee, microwaveable pizza, etc), but you should do this gradually so the cravings for it won't be as harsh. Exercise is also crucial since no real weight loss program contains only a diet. Just taking the stairs instead of the elevator can do more than you may think.

i agree with you i hate anything to do with food in the morning i can't stand it, i'm not big on meals all together i think that you should eat whatever you want whenever you want it i have some pretty weird eating times and pretty weird things that i eat but i do walk alot so even if i have something like cholalate i know that its ok because in the last week i can safely say that my weight doesn't change much. consider this listen to your body it knows what is good for it and what it needs do not let your head get in the way of this if it wants cookies give it cookies it doesn't mean that your automaticaly going to put on weight everyone is different but that is how its meant to be i honestly believe that every single one of us is perfect just the way we are

Of couse it is not for everyone.

Some points to think about :

1. Do you have enough energy during the day? It is easier to maintain high energy levels while eating multiple times. Of couse, fat foods are disgested and release calories slower.

2. Generally assumed that eating rarely might cause stomach/bowel/liver/gal diseases. However, this depends from person to person as well.

I can only speak for myself.

I have been eating one meal a day for decades. Unlike your wise choice to eat a meal in mid day, I have my meal at dinner time. I think the ideal path for you and me to follow would be to include snacks throughout the day, providing the body with regular small bursts of fuel - and of course water all through the day.

I am nearly 61, tall (6'3") Slim, (180#) and in very good health.

Good luck

when u eat one meal a day your body goes into starvation mode and converts fat to sugar to keep you going.

when you start eating more than one meal a day initially you do gain weight but you lose it again, slowly. you have to wait for your metabolism to speed up. when it speeds up, it constantly burns sugars so when you are between meals your metabolism will start converting fat into sugar and energy all day. this way, it is not a big issue if you occasionally miss a meal. eating once a day your body stores all the sugars because it does not know when it will get more.

hope this helps

After you lost the 25 did you maintain your weight?

Eating small meals through out the day keeps your body fueled for daily activities. It also keeps it out of starvation mode where you body thinks it is not getting food and will store it as fat for later.

Also do you do any exercise?

• Eating one meal a day isn't considered "healthy" but if you don't feel drained and still have energy and aren't starving youself...and can maintain a healthy weight than you should be ok.

i heard that breakfast is important so maybe try eating a banana which i am informed takes several hours to digest, this may stop you getting the munches all day

We are all as different on the inside as we are on the outside, what works for one could be detrimental for another.

Do what works for you!

Eat healthy, and exercise.

Good Luck!