Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Atheists, where exactly does the Bible condone slavery, genocide, etc. Christians please comment too.?

Please list specific verses, because ALL I've seen so far are verses taken out of context.

For one thing, in Exodus Chapter 21 (verse 2), it clears up the slavery thing. They were actually indentured servants, NOT slaves. If you bought them, they would work for you for six years and in the seventh year, they would be freed. Also, God thought slavery was wrong, but he knew people would do it anyways, so he came up with laws to PROTECT slaves.

As far as the genocide thing goes, WHERE do you see that? What specific verses?

God ordered Moses to kill off some tribes because they were wicked. It had nothing at all to do with the fact that they were foreigners. Read the Bible and it clearly states that every single one of the tribes practiced human sacrifices. Just read the verses. Historical and archeological evidence backs up this claim.

The Canaanites, the Amorites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites were evil.

32 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

i have yet to read that section of the bible that condones that type of behavior.....

good point. :-)

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

And God ordered the extermination of the Canaanites, the Amorites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites -- which was actually the SECOND big extermination.

The first big extermination was when God supposedly caused a flood which rose to a height of 29,135 feet to exterminate every living thing on earth except for Noah, his family, and the Ark.

The Flood, however, is physically impossible: for the atmosphere to contain that amount of precipitable water, the atmospheric pressure would increase to over 13,000 pounds per square inch -- effectively crushing every living thing on the planet.

Moreover, using the "canopy" model described in Genesis, if a canopy holding the equivalent of more than 40 feet of water were part of the atmosphere (and the water allegedly rose to a height of 29,135 feet above mean sea level), it would raise the atmospheric pressure accordingly, raising oxygen and nitrogen levels to toxic levels.

• If the canopy began as vapor, any water from it would be superheated from the intense atmospheric pressure. This scenario essentially starts with most of the Flood waters boiled off. Noah and company would be poached. If the water began as ice in orbit, the gravitational potential energy would likewise raise the temperature past boiling.

• A canopy of any significant thickness would have blocked a great deal of light, lowering the temperature of the earth greatly before the Flood.

• Any water above the ozone layer would not be shielded from ultraviolet light, and the light would break apart the water molecules.

Assuming that the atmosphere had enough precipitable water to cause a flood which rose to the depth of 29,135 AND that all of life hadn't been crushed because of the intense atmospheric pressure AND that nitrogen and oxygen levels hadn't risen to toxic levels before the flood -- for the water to rise 29,135 feet in 40 days, rainfall across the entire planet would be on the order of six inches *per minute*, or 30 feet of rain *per hour* and the force of that much rainfall would have destroyed any dwelling or any boat it hit.

Moreover, had the water somehow reached the height of 29,135 feet, adabiatic cooling would have taken place which would have resulted in the top two miles (or so) of water becoming ice.

And by the way -- I'm Christian. I just don't happen to believe the Genesis stories were ever intended to be read literally; and when they ARE read literally, the stories become absurd (and we miss the complete point of the story).

• 6 years ago

Slavery, rape and genocide are all unloving as they are not kind and if we are unloving to one another we will be condemn by his words as he has commanded us to love.

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. ~ John 13:34 (Jesus Christ)

But I tell you, love your enemies ~ Matthew 5:44 (Jesus Christ)

love is kind ~ 1 Corinthians 13:4-5

There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day. ~ John 12:48 (Jesus Christ)

Also scripture clearly states that fornicators will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. ~ 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Source(s): Holy spirit Bible
  • Snark
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

A person who is held against their will or without the freedom to leave whenever they like is a slave, no matter what pretty little names you give them.

The verse you mention is only good for HEBREW slaves, and if you read on, you'll see that if while the person was a slave he was married, you set him free but keep his wife and kids.

It then continues even further to say that if he misses his family so much, he can give up his freedom and be a slave forever.

This is nothing short of extortion. What sort of choice is that, your family or your own freedom?

As for non-Hebrew slaves, this is what the Bible has to say -

"44 And as for your male and female slaves whom you may have—from the nations that are around you, from them you may buy male and female slaves. 45 Moreover you may buy the children of the strangers who dwell among you, and their families who are with you, which they beget in your land; and they shall become your property. 46 And you may take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them as a possession; they shall be your permanent slaves. But regarding your brethren, the children of Israel, you shall not rule over one another with rigor." Leviticus 25:44-46

And Genocide... you claim they were practicing human sacrifice. Is that why your god wanted the children and infants killed, too? Ezekiel 9, verse 5 and 6.

Your reasoning is sickening, by the way... "He knew it would happen, so he made laws so that it wouldn't be so bad".

If God thought slavery was wrong, he shouldn't have had a problem saying, "Slavery is wrong". He certainly didn't have a problem saying all sorts of other things were wrong in no uncertain terms. Eating shrimp, touching a woman while she's on her period, wearing clothes made of two different kinds of fibers, working on the Sabbath... all clearly more serious crimes than slavery. Right.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You answer the question yourself on the genocide topic.

"God ordered Moses to kill off some tribes because they were wicked. It had nothing at all to do with the fact that they were foreigners... The Canaanites, the Amorites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites were evil"

It doesn't matter the reason the Lord commanded that a tribe/people be wiped out, destruction of an entire tribe/nation is genocide.

Now, do I believe that makes God wrong/evil? No. He is the one that decides when it is our time to die, so if he needs a group wiped out to stop their evil practices, that is his perogative.

Does that mean I'm gonna kill anyone? No. There are very limited and specific instances when the Lord has given this order, none of which apply in today's world.

• "God ordered Moses to kill off some tribes because they were wicked. It had nothing at all to do with the fact that they were foreigners. Read the Bible and it clearly states that every single one of the tribes practiced human sacrifices."

So, it's still genocide.

[edit:] Don't forget about the flood, that can also be counted as a genocide.

• Walter
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

"However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way." (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

That seems pretty clear to me.

Now as far as genocide... how about the flood? Was everyone that God killed in the flood evil? Even the new born children?

• 1 decade ago

Your seven year slave program only applied to hebrew slaves; all other nationalities were property for life.

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

f you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.' If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever. (Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)

Why didn't god abolish slavery instead of make up laws? weak.

Do you really want links?

http://www.evilbible.com/Slavery.htm

Genocide?

Firstborn sons of Egypt, the flood. Plenty of innocents perished there, if you believe the bible. But you would also have to believe in talking snakes.

Source(s): Atheist
  • Aravah
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

When God tells Sarah that she can beat the slave woman that was pregnant with Abraham's child. He told Sarah that she owned the woman (Haggar?) and could do with her as she wanted as long as Sarah didn't kill her.

Don't want to look up the actual verses - shouldn't be too hard. The unborn child was Ishmael, the supposed father of Islam.

There's also instruction on how much you can beat your slave before you have to set them free (if you maim them, you lose them. If not you get to keep them as slaves for a long time).

• 1 decade ago

hahahahahahaha...........ok, so it's ok to have part time slaves? if god is "almighty," why wouldn't he just condemn it altogether? sheeeesh

genocide......all throughout the first 5 books, the israelites are commanded by god to go into cities and slay every man woman and child. pathetic that you can justify this by saying that it was ok because they were wicked. i highly doubt the little innocent kids who were butchered had much to do with human sacrifice.

maybe you should try to actually read what's in the bible and you'd be surprised at the atrocities and absurdities. i don't understand how you can believe in something if you've never read it.

Source(s): atheist; read bible from cover to cover
  • 1 decade ago

Genocide for good reasons? I am afraid that genocide is a very unpopular word now. We do not have the right to wipe out women and children in our civilized society and find it repulsive. God, though, has the right to take life and demand justice for things such as you said. Surprise, His justice is swift and severe. Sorry, if that upsets folks. Might make some think twice about the heretical doctrine of a "so loving" God that could not send anyone to hell.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.