Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Holocaust books?

I need to read a Holocaust book for school. I read slow, so I'm looking for a book 200-300 pages long. It needs to be a true survivor's account of what the Holocaust was like for him/her. I read the Anne Frank diary awhile ago, so don't suggest that.

Thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

One of the greatest Holocaust books you will ever read is called "Night" by Elie Wiesel. It is a great book and under 200 pages, by one of the most famous Holocaust survivors from Auswitchz.

A great book also is "I Have Lived a Thousand Years" by Livia Bitton-Jackson. It is a very strong and slightly grotesque book, mainly because it relates things exactly as they happened. It is very good, though, and realistic (with some mature content). It is a little over 200 pages.

With about 200 pages, "Survivors: True Stories of Children in the Holocaust" is another book about the Holocaust, this time from the children's point of view. If you're looking for nonfiction, this is a good book to try.

Have you read Lois Lowry's "Number the Stars"? Not a true story (close enough, though), but short and sweet. 114 pages, I think. Very good book.

From what I have heard, "The Cage" (256 pages) by Ruth Minsky Sender is a good Holocaust memoir.

Give this one a try: "Surviving Hitler: A Boy in the Nazi Death Camps" by Andrea Warren. A young, Polish 12-year-old whose life is invaded by Nazis.

As far as survivors go, you could read Jacob Boas' "We Are Witnesses: Five Diaries Of Teenagers Who Died In The Holocaust." Boas is a true Nazi survivor, and he uses excerpts of this book to get some history through to readers.

Others: "Night Father" by Carl Friedman and "Surviving in Auswitchz" by Primo Levy.

I hope that among these books you find something you like.

Good luck! :D

Source(s): Me; Amazon.com for page #s, etc.
  • learn

Famous Holocaust Books

Other than The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank, the best known Holocaust memoir is probably Night by Elie Wiesel. However, there are many other true accounts by Holocaust survivors. For a list of titles, check your public library catalogue using the keywords "jewish holocaust personal narratives."

(Note that Number the Stars, recommended by others, is fiction and therefore not suitable for your school assignment.)

• KJC

there's the Boys from Brazil, which is under 300 pages; i hear it has some sex and gore in it, don't know if that's ok for you or not. it's about what could have happened after the holocaust and is still very related to the holocaust; i'd think of movies about the holocaust and see if there is a book about it - Night of the Generals, for example. also just type in holocaust at amazon.com or go to the library and i'm sure there will be tons of options.

Source(s): oh sorry you said true survivor's account - well there's tons of those too! there's like 12000 options of 'biographies' from the holocaust on amazon.com.

"Maus" by Art Speigelman

Maus: A Survivor's Tale is a memoir by Art Spiegelman, a graphic novel. It recounts the struggle of Spiegelman's father to survive the Holocaust as a Polish Jew and draws largely on his father's recollections of his experiences. The book also follows the author's troubled relationship with his father and the way the effects of war reverberate through generations of a family. In 1992 it won a Pulitzer Prize Special Award. All people are presented as animals (for example, all Jews are depicted as mice, therefore the name Maus). First published in in two parts (Volume I: "My Father Bleeds History" and Volume II: "And Here My Troubles Began"), before eventually being published as a single volume.

Number the Starts by Lois Lowry

or

NightFather by Carl Friedman

I hate holocaust books but i was forced to read these in school

Lowry's was better

Elie Wiesel wrote a very short book called "Night."

You won't be able to put it down. And the good news is, even though you won't be able to put it down it is under 200 pages so it won't take long!

Best holocaust story I've ever read. Devastating though...

Well another one would be "Number the Stars" by Lois Lowry, a very to-the-point- book... You'll be able to relate to the character and the specific details are good!

The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom TRUE STORY OF A SURVIVOR

Consider "Survival in Auschwitz," by Primo Levi. I don't remember the exact length, but I do remember it was short.