Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 decade ago

How many months can somebody hang on to a check before that check is void?

My cousin was given a baby shower 2.5 months ago. I couldn't attend so I sent her a card with a 40 dollar check inside. She wrote me a thank you letter, but now I see that she still has not cashed the check. How many months can she hold that check without cashing it before it becomes null and void? Is it 3 months or 6 months? I need to know so I can properly balance my check book!

Oh, I know she is really busy. I didn't want to bug her is she had 6 months time, but if it's 3 months, I need to get on her about this. I know she could use that money too.

dmg- I am not stupid, I deducted the amount and everything, it's just that I have to go back all those months to figure out why my statement and my register are always 40 dollars off and it is very annoying.

Favorite Answer

Most US banks 'stale date' a check after 6 months. Check with your bank, but that usually means they will not honor it after that point.

Get a No Cost Background Check Scan at https://bitly.im/aOqA0

Its a sensible way to start. The site allows you to do a no cost scan simply to find out if any sort of data is in existence. A smaller analysis is done without cost. To get a detailed report its a modest payment.

You may not realize how many good reasons there are to try and find out more about the people around you. After all, whether you're talking about new friends, employees, doctors, caretakers for elderly family members, or even significant others, you, as a citizen, have a right to know whether the people you surround yourself with are who they say they are. This goes double in any situation that involves your children, which not only includes teachers and babysitters, but also scout masters, little league coaches and others. Bottom line, if you want to find out more about someone, you should perform a background check.

• Hannah

It is common banking practice to reject cheques that are over six months old to protect the payer, on the basis that payment may already have been made by some other means or the cheque may have been lost or stolen . However, this is at the discretion of individual banks. It should not be assumed that cheques in excess of six months old would automatically be rejected — the only certain way to cancel a cheque is to request that a stop be placed on it (although cheques backed by a Cheque Guarantee Card cannot be stopped). It is recommended that, if possible, customers in possession of cheques that are over six months old obtain a replacement. A cheque remains legally valid for six years.

usually its 90 days. Ive seen checks that can be held for 120 - 180 days but those were from businesses like the lottery or paychecks.

Maybe you should call her & remind her... She is probably really busy with the baby and forgot. Or maybe she misplaced it. I would call the bank to ask how long she has to cash it.

6 months, Maybe she's lost the cheque? I'm always doing that!

6 mos

I think like 6 months to a year

I think it's 90 days... usually on the check it will have something that says "void after X days"

Typically 90 days, or 3 months. Why not call her and ask her to please deposit or cash the check. To balance you account just count the money as GONE in your ledger.