Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

Why doesn't MTV and VH1 play rock music videos anymore?

Best Answer

Don't think MTV or VH1 ever play any music videos anymore, its all those rubbish cribbs or reality shows ggrrr

What it all comes down to is advertising dollars. MTV and VH1 can't sell time for music videos because the thinking is that no one will sit and watch one video after another. Basically, with videos, the format changes every 4 minutes. Someone who likes Daughtery might not like Justin Timberlake... so if you run their videos back to back, you lose your audience. Advertisers dislike it when that happens... so MTV and VH1 put together half hour shows that will, in theory, hold an audience for the entire half hour and thus, give them a tracable audience and target demo that they can sell to the advertisers to get the big bucks.

What MTV and VH1 are actually supposed to play music videos?! lol

Because it is cheaper to create "reality" shows than paying royalties to play videos. Do we really need to see Falva Flav and Brett Michaels select the Whore-De-Jour. At least VH1 Classics plays Metal Mania, Rock Fest, and 120Minutes, but that just covers a few hours of the day.

• Tommy11 months agoReport

I beg to differ. It most certainly is NOT cheaper to produce reality shows than to pay royalties. Producing original TV programming is very costly. MTV has abandoned videos in favor of original programming for several reasons - to build unique brand; own their content; can't compete with YouTube...

Why dosen't MTV or VH1 play videos period anymore? They think we want to watch reality TV. If I want realtiy TV I'll turn on Survivor or some of that other crap.

I believe it is because the majority of music for adolescents (ridiculous teens) like to listen to the "rap"

that, personally, disturbes me a little

I love Fuse now..

and MTV is supposed to stand for Music television

but now they have more reality shows than music in general!

Source(s): ME and my tv

i think before mtv can start playing good rock music videos, there need to be some good rock bands... i sure as hell ain't gettin' that from panic! at the disco and fall out boy (the band that is MOST undeserving of gibson guitars)

I haven't watched MTV in over 15 years because they started playing crap music videos.

Who cares? We got youtube now...all vids all literally uploaded there.

And regardless of what's popular among the teens, there should be plenty of band out there that deserve some attention, rock, indie, metal, punk, industrial, you name it. It's just that they only care for a little bit of videos.

I only watch VH1 classic, otherwise, it's a rap fest.