"EVERYONE is a Bible literalist when the Bible validates their cause" -- Agree or disagree?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Donna
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Agreed, they have nothing else.

• 1 decade ago

I'm a Bible literalist, and because of this, I've had to ammend my positions and causes to match the book.

For instance, I use to think that remarriage after divorce was always unacceptable, until I encountered and studied 1 Cor. 7:27-28 which helped me to find a better contextual interpretation for Matt. 19:9.

I've had several of these instances on my spiritual journey, and I think that many people have. However, I know what you mean about people using the bible for something that was not intended.

I'm amazed at how many atheists suddenly become ardent bible literalists when trying to corner a Bible-believer.

• 1 decade ago

Disagree a literalist will not find in the Bible the verse which make this princip valid...

Source(s): And non litteralist prefer to cook an apple pie, with custard..
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. I think you'll find that many of us find the literal statements/promises/histories in the bible are very challenging and require us to change - change isn't always fun or easy.

If I don't really want to change, but choose to change based on a literal statement from the Bible, how is that validating my cause. Just the opposite, I would say.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I disagree. I read the Bible, but never to prove a self serving point. I do not get mired down in the details. I use more of a Gestalt approach. I doubt I am alone in that.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Disagree...the Bible does not validate the causes of man...

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

My first instinct was to agree until I read GoatBoys answer. He is correct. "Everyone" is just another word at generalizing, and sooooo many people (including me) b*tch about people generalizing too much.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sadly, i would have to agree.

Jesus preached kindness and tolerance, and never bigotry.

Also, a lot of verses are taken directly out of context

• 1 decade ago

Bible in fact, invalidates itself.

• 1 decade ago

Agreed. There have been entire religions founded on this practice. Then again, many people have died from venomous snake bites while intentionally handling snakes.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Disagree, because EVERYONE isn't all one thing. Everyone is just another word at generalizing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.