"EVERYONE is a Bible literalist when the Bible validates their cause" -- Agree or disagree?

• Donna
    Best Answer

Agreed, they have nothing else.

I'm a Bible literalist, and because of this, I've had to ammend my positions and causes to match the book.

For instance, I use to think that remarriage after divorce was always unacceptable, until I encountered and studied 1 Cor. 7:27-28 which helped me to find a better contextual interpretation for Matt. 19:9.

I've had several of these instances on my spiritual journey, and I think that many people have. However, I know what you mean about people using the bible for something that was not intended.

I'm amazed at how many atheists suddenly become ardent bible literalists when trying to corner a Bible-believer.

Disagree a literalist will not find in the Bible the verse which make this princip valid...

Source(s): And non litteralist prefer to cook an apple pie, with custard..

No. I think you'll find that many of us find the literal statements/promises/histories in the bible are very challenging and require us to change - change isn't always fun or easy.

If I don't really want to change, but choose to change based on a literal statement from the Bible, how is that validating my cause. Just the opposite, I would say.

I disagree. I read the Bible, but never to prove a self serving point. I do not get mired down in the details. I use more of a Gestalt approach. I doubt I am alone in that.

Disagree...the Bible does not validate the causes of man...

• ?

My first instinct was to agree until I read GoatBoys answer. He is correct. "Everyone" is just another word at generalizing, and sooooo many people (including me) b*tch about people generalizing too much.

Sadly, i would have to agree.

Jesus preached kindness and tolerance, and never bigotry.

Also, a lot of verses are taken directly out of context

Bible in fact, invalidates itself.

Agreed. There have been entire religions founded on this practice. Then again, many people have died from venomous snake bites while intentionally handling snakes.

Disagree, because EVERYONE isn't all one thing. Everyone is just another word at generalizing.