Best gay-friendly cities to live in the southern U.S.?

Are there any cities in the south of U.S. where gays are welcomed, or at least well-accepted? I'm used to living in huge cities where being gay is hardly an issue. There may be some job opportunities for me in the bible belt of the south. What might some of my options be? It would be nice if there were a... show more Are there any cities in the south of U.S. where gays are welcomed, or at least well-accepted? I'm used to living in huge cities where being gay is hardly an issue. There may be some job opportunities for me in the bible belt of the south. What might some of my options be? It would be nice if there were a decent gay culture (like Atlanta) too.

But beyond Atlanta, I'd like to find out about much smaller cities that might not be so obvious as well. What do you think?
Update: Hearing about cities to definitely avoid is helpful too.

I'm hoping to hear about less obvious big cities, plus smaller cities in these states: LA, MS, AL, GA, TN, AR, the Carolinas.

Thanks!