Christians, please explain.. in ENGLISH, not christian slang, what it means to be saved.?

Its such a cliche. "are you saved?"

"i've found god"

"you can be saved, too"

and yes yes, i've heard the typical, standard, easy answer "..accept jesus christ as your personal lord and savior"

so i just have to say that jesus died on a cross and i'm saved, and will secure a spot in heaven?

so you're honestly saying that christians believe that being saved is just an intangible, thought? you don't have to do anything? you could be a complete tyrant, but as long as you believe that jesus christ is your savior, you're in? not feelin' that one.

by the way.. i HAVE read the bible. many times. i'm not completely ignorant, i just don't believe this 'saving' bullshit. and thanks for not using your christian slang, because thats exactly what you did.

one more edit..

to the surprisingly large amt. of you that think i'm actually TRYING to be 'saved', and secure myself a place in heaven, please don't flatter yourselves. i do not want to be a christian, i am much happier being non-religious. i am just trying to make sense of the numerous cliches christians seem to use, but rarely understand themselves.

so no, i don't want to say your prayer, i don't want to read the bible *again* and i don't want to 'please please' find jesus.

• Joy
    Best Answer

I admit... it's a problem. Christians speak "Christianese" and we do it totaly by accident. What really frightens me is when some poor Christian is silly enough to ask someone if they've been "washed in the blood." That just sounds TERRIBLE! But they don't mean it the way it sounds, lol.

I'm sure I'm guilty, too. It's a culture that we get used to.

LOL. I appreciate your candor.

As a Christian this is my belief:

That Christ died for my sins, and was risen that i might have life eternal.

where i spend that life eternal is dependent on my choices. It would be complete hypocrisy to say i believe... and then do everything in variance to what Christ taught.

So.. NO i don't believe you can just say your Hale Mary or confess, or convince the congregation"that i've been healed" that is all rubbish.

Finding your eternities in Heaven with Heavenly Father and Christ takes a commitment to live the gospel's teachings. And to choose repentance ( an admission, an apology, and where possible a recompence, of the wrongs done) for my mistakes.

That Christ made repentance and forgiveness possible, so that mercy as well as justice could be served. (Because i believe in living the law of God as well as the law of the land... mercy alone can not save me, for justice must be filled.)

I hope i didn't use slang, and when i did that i explained my self. You seem like a highly intelligent person though, so i don't want to word things as if you are a child either! what a connundrum!

Any way, i am glad that while you do not desire an affiliation with religion that you do want to be educated, that is a lovely and refreshing change!

Have a great night!!!!!

Source(s): Personal testimony, scripture study, and faith.... not your typical education, but for this topic... i think it will suffice, lol.
  • CM

To be "saved" not only means that you have to believe in Christ. It is a free gift as one of the other answerers said, but you have to ask for it. You have to pray to God and ask him for forgiveness for all the things that you have done wrong (sin). Then you have to, as Jesus said, "go and sin no more." This does not mean that if you sin again you are going to Hell. This means that you are to make an effort to change. People "sin" everyday. That is inevitable and that is why Jesus provided a way for forgiveness by going to the cross. This is not, however, a scapegoat. You can't go out and murder someone and be like, Oh I can just ask for forgiveness. It does not work that way. yo9u have to be sincere. One of the other answerers said that you should read the Bible and decide for yourself. This is true, but life is a lot easier if you have someone to confide in and bounce ideas off of so it was good that you asked this question. Hope this helped.

We believe that Adam and Eve brought sin into the world. Every human being is therefore inherently sinful. Therefore God sent his son Jesus Christ to be born by a virgin into the world. Jesus Christ was the only person to live a sinless, perfect life. And he died by crucifixion sanctioned by Pontius Pilate at the hands of those who are sinners. He then rose from the dead thus completing the atonement for our sins. The thief on the cross asked for forgiveness and he is in heaven. All you have to do is the same thing as the thief on the cross and every single bad thing you have done is PAID IN FULL, forgiven. When Jesus Christ died, the curtain on the temple ripped in half from the top down. Thus signifying the New Testament in which people did not have to go through an intermediary (a priest) to pray, petition, or worship God. That is what we believe, whether other people believe that or not is up to them! I think if you feel that you are a perfectly good person you have real psychiatric problems. Have you never thought of just yourself and not others? Have you ever wanted something you haven't had? Have you ever taken something that's not yours? Have you ever told a lie? Yes you should feel guilty and you should feel terrible about it! But you see, the relief is knowing that Jesus paid the debt for everything bad you ever have done or will do!

• Well, I'll try to be as blunt and as simple as possible. I cried out to the Lord for a change after many many hard times in my life. Also I'm from a "bad neighborhood" and my soul is just so different from others' here. It became overwhelming. He heard my cry. I went from being lost to found, sad to happy, smart to wise, angry to humble, weak to strong, frustrated to peaceful and doubtful to confidant. And that's not even half of it....All from something that I really never acknowledged or cared about before. Go figure!

Look, its not something you can really sum up, even with everything I just said. It just happened. Now, I understand how frustrating it can be when people go through something really hard, or even really exiting, and no one understands how they feel- no matter how long they try to explain it. It just gets to a point where words aren't good enough anymore. I want everyone to know exactly what I'm talking about. Sometimes, I think, if I could have my way, they would. However, there is so much more meaning when people seek God on their own and find the unexpected, such as I have. Maybe you're trying too hard. Depend more on your heart from now on. Go to God about this and be honest, put it all out there. If you do that, it is guarenteed that you will find what you're looking for, plus a lot more.

I no longer view life the same way I did before. I don't talk the same way I used to, or go to the same places, or even listen to the same music. I even care about strangers now, when before, I did whatever I could to avoid the "weird people." Sometimes, I am literally startled by my own newfound wisdom and "unlike me" actions, but then I remember, it’s really not *me* anymore.

I don't know what everyone else is going to tell you, but if this isn't a good example of "being saved", then I don't know what is.

Hopefully I helped :)

It means to be transferred from one kingdom to another. It means to have a new King.

We are born into the Kingdom of Darkness.

We are transported into a new Kingdom, the Kingdom of the Son of God's love.

Its not just a change of neighbourhood, or from one state to another. It is a movement from the old country to a new country.

All things become new. You are not the same person any more. Instead of being dominated by Sin, your will is set free.

You have a new King, Jesus Christ. Instead of being an enemy of God and a friend of Satan, you become a friend of God and an enemy of Satan.

unless you are born again YOU WILL NEVER SEE GOD'S KINGDOM. As soon as you are born again, you are in it.

For how to get to it, see the many good posts before this one about Faith, repentence, being made a new creation etc

http://www.about-jesus.zoomshare.com

• To be saved means that you are joined into the body of Christ. You are made a child of God when you accept Jesus Christ as your Savior and when you accept Him as your savior, the blood that Jesus shed on the cross cleanses you of your sins and His spirit comes upon you.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

Believing Jesus Christ saves you, because you acknowledge Him as your Savior.

Being saved simply means that you've realized you're a sinner(you've done bad things), then asked Jesus to save you(from sin and hell) and forgive you of you're sins. After that you have a real relationship with God instead of just religion. Then you try to learn more about God and try to live upright. Not uppity; just good, fair, descent. A Christian is supposed to act more Christ-like instead of like others.

• John P

It is hard to explain without invoking the notion of Christianity. In Christianity and some other religions you have to be 'saved' in order to go to Paradise or Heaven or whatever the desired destination is, usually as opposed to Hell or eternal damnation. Usually, in order to be 'saved' you have to believe in all the ideas of that particular religion, and live a good life without breaking any of that religion's rules. In Christianity (and probably in some orther religions) being saved also entails being accepted by God (or other deity) - usually because you have been a good person in your bodily life on Earth.

Of course, nobody can tell if they have actually been saved until they die (and wake up in Heaven or Hell, or don't wake up at all!).

I hope that explanation is sufficiently 'neutral' for you.

Being saved means you have a ticket to heaven when you die.

Beliefs vary among Christians, but most agree that to be saved you must repent of your sins, be baptized and confess Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior.

The traditional definition of baptism would be immersion in water after becoming accountable for sins, acknowledging that accountability, and confessing Jesus as the only path to forgiveness and salvation.

Many modern churches have a modified view of baptism in which babies are baptized and their parents assume the responsibility for confession of sins and belief. These churches may offer confirmation--which is confirmation of baptism.

In my opinion, being saved means, as you say, Jesus died on a cross to save you and you have a spot in heaven.

In order to go there, however, you would have to obey the Gospel (repent your sins, confess Christ and be baptized.) I would say it is not difficult to do these things, but many people, for various reasons, are not able to do them, and, by definition, they are not saved.

To be saved, is to be cleansed of sins, a point in time where the blessed Holy Spirit brings the imputation of righteousness of Christ upon a one who profess to receive Christ.

Most and many Christian are ignorant of the Bible and the difficulty to be saved. Many Biblical examples showed it is difficult to be saved.

Take a look at Abraham for example. God called Abraham in Gen 12, but it was not until Gen 15:6 before he was imputed righteous.

Some may profess to follow Christ 40 years, but may not be saved! Today, many false preachers and pastors give false assurance about salvation. Easy believism is rife, we want instant answer, instant messaging, instant coffee; so the false pastors also grant instant salvation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try this booklet:

http://acacia.pair.com/Acacia.John.Bunyan/Sermons....