Anybody know what SPE 5 stands for regarding the US Army?

Looking at the phrase, "Served two years to SPE 5 in the U. S. Army." and trying to figure out what it means.

Favorite Answer

Yes, I can tell you about a Sec-5. It is a Rank. That form of rank no longer exists though. It represents a technical type job in the Army like a Helicopter mechanic. The Army and all services have the same Enlisted pay grades, they are E-1, E-2, E-3, E-4, E-5, E-6, E-7, E-8, E-9 These are divided between combat leadership ranks and technical ranks. For instance, an E-8 has two different ranks, a First Sergeant for a combat leadership position and Master Sergeant for a technical position.

The SPEC-5, SPEC-6, and SPEC-7 used to be technical positions for E-5, E-6 and E-7. The Combat leadership ranks for those pay grades are Sergeant (E-5), Staff Sergeant (E-6) and Sergeant First Class (E-7).

When a SPEC-7 is promoted to E-8, they achieve the rank of Master Sergeant.

I hope that explained the SPE 5 for you. I really hope I didn't confuse you.

• Specialist 5 (E5). Was one myself.

Specialist rank went up to E7 once upon a time. We had 2 Spec. 6 in our shop in Germany in 74-76. Same same as the T ranks during WWII. Pay without authority as an NCO.

SSG US Army 73-82

Former SP5 here too!