Serious question to Christians: What is the need of prayer requests?

In all sincerity, I've never understood the reason for prayer requests. If a person needs God's assistance or guidance or intervention why would he need more people praying for him? It just seems like a petition to me. Doesn't God hear the lone voice? Does the person with the most prayers on their... show more In all sincerity, I've never understood the reason for prayer requests. If a person needs God's assistance or guidance or intervention why would he need more people praying for him? It just seems like a petition to me. Doesn't God hear the lone voice? Does the person with the most prayers on their behalf have a better chance of recieving God's mercy than the poor loner with no one pleading their case? Why do Christians say, "I'll pray for you?" to someone who is most likely praying for themselves. It's like saying, "let ME talk to him, I'll see what I can get done for you." Why would that person have more success?

Seriously, just wondering.