Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Maryland, Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Iowa, and Kentucky = No Atheist...?

These states allow for the religious discrimination of atheists in their state constitution from holding public office.

In the 1961 U.S. Supreme Court Case, Torcaso v. Watkins, stated that the 1st and 14th amendments of the US Constitution override these state constitutions.

So why do these states not REMOVE these from their constitutions?

Do these states desire to keep a tradition of intolerance and bigotry?

Favorite Answer

The Supreme Court trumped all of these a few years back. The constitutions are not changed because to do so would require a majority vote among the citizens of that state, as well as hundreds or thousands of man-hours.

Well, under investigation, I found out most of these states voted for Bush to come in to office, and then stay there, so I wouldn't expect a majority of their voters to understand. Just let them sit around in the ignorance, and let the sensible ones stay far away.

I see a query like this approximately as quickly as a week, and that i'm finally going to respond to one. please deliver me the links to the state regulations that instruct that those all people is banned from keeping place of work and data that they have been enforced interior the previous. there are a number of regulations that are in simple terms no longer enforced. in bedford pennsylvania it continues to be criminal to cling a guy for stealing your horse. in Utah it fairly is illegitimate to marry your camel. in Arkansas if a woman is driveing a guy could desire to be on the sidewalk waiveing pink flags to alert different drivers that a woman is at the back of the wheel of a motor vehicle... for the regulation to make any distinction it may desire to no longer basically be interior the books even yet it may desire to be enforced. instruct me the place this regulation has been enforced and the links to the interior of sight court docket places of work that the selection grew to become into made at. in case you won't be able to try this then you certainly are in simple terms attempting to fire up s**t

I dont understand how this can happen.

"seperation of church and state"....it is written in the Consitution....

I am willing to bet those states also are rank among the highest in crime rate in the US.

I know like 3 of the top 7 cities with the highest crime rate are in Texas.

I am starting to understand why many Europeans look at us like we are "dumb Americans"....because most of us are

• Willow

With the exception of Maryland and Iowa...It's the Bible Belt and Tennessee is home to the Southern Baptist Association. What else can you expect?

Maybe because this country was founded by Godly men and we are "One Nation Under God" and they want it to stay that way.

Arkansas produced Bill (BJ) Clinton; that was enough for us to "tolerate".