Drywall? when taping drywall do you tape short joints or long joints first. and do you lap the tape over?robby

just wondered if the long joint tape is to cover the short joint tape to seal the joint or does it matter...............

Best Answer

I do the short joints ..which are actually called Butt joints, Butt joints are staggered so they only go half way down the wall..then I tape the long joints for the tape will overlap the edges from the cut tape on the butt joints...I do butt joints..then long joints....then I hang all the tape on the angles..which will then cover the edges on the long joint tape..You do not necessarily have to cover the joints, but it is much neater..makes the tape stay better, and when you sand your dried joint compound you don't get "into the edge" of a piece of cut tape..for all the edges are covered..This can cause a small fray look in spots if the tore part of the tape comes through the mud after sanding..It just goes for a better job...

Source(s): 37 year experienced painter http://www.flickr.com/photos/pcbeachrat/616645078/

Use explorer to get to AOL. From there go to DIY and a guy named Tyler. I think you can pick and choose from his project explanations.

In addition, search word drywall installation will get you tons of info. If you are doing a lot, there is a tool called a banjo that holds a roll of paper, about four pounds of mud, and applies both at the same time. They say the trick is to make sure your first layer is very thin while assuring the paper gets wet. The banjo does that. They have them at Menards in two choices, a pro model at about 95 and a homeowners model at about 37.00.

One of the tips I read was that you always always add about a cup of water to half a bucket of drywall compound and mix well. This dilutes it a bit, as some moisture is lost from the packaging and the product sometimes not being fresh from the factory.

On corners, they say do one half first and let it dry. Then go back and do the other side of the right angle and let it dry too. this avoids paper tears as you try to force the joint to look to you like a perfect right angle.

Also, the tips I read said some of the mesh fiberglass tape is good. It is self adhesive and you don't need the banjo, or the first underlayer of the mud. You just go over the mesh. Problem is usually when too much mud is put on and not feathered out, and when sanded the mesh shows through. So. what I gathered was very light coats, less than 1/16", two to three coats, dry and then sand between. Feather out straight seams to about 8". If you join a finished edge with a cut edge, feather out about 12-14 inches and sand so there won''t be a noticable hump.

Do the search word thing. Very informative articles once you get past the ads.

Don't wet the tape! I have no idea where that came from but have been seeing it a lot. Tape the short joints running the tape at least to the longitudinal joint. Then tape the long joint. This makes finishing easier.

Source(s): General contractor.

it doent matter weather you do long joints or short joints first and it doesnt matter if you over lap the tape or not !! done drywall tons of times so hope this helps ....

• jay p

i butt the tape at the joints. the tapered edges should be first since they are lower.tape is tape, it works on all joints, i use mesh on flat joints( non tapered edges other than corners) it seems to be flatter.

• just make sure your paper tape is wet

have fun

goodluck