Should I wash newly dyed tie-dye shirts together?

Yesterday I used a tie-dye kit (by Jacquard, if that's significant) to tie-dye five shirts. As instructed, I let them sit for 24 hours to let the dye set. I have removed the rubber bands and washed each shirt on its own in a basin of clean water to wash out any unabsorbed dye, as instruced.

However, the instructions from this point on are very ambiguous. Seeming to assume that the owner of the kit would only make one shirt at a time, it tells me to "wash the shirt in your washing machine with warm water and soap".

So I'm wondering- would it be okay to put them all in together? I'm afraid any extra dye would bleed and ruin all of the shirts. On the other hand, it seems a waste to run the washing machine once for each shirt, but if it's necessary, I suppose I'll do it. Jacquard has left me mystified. I don't want to ruin my shirts.

Anyone out there who could tell me what to do?

Favorite Answer

You can wash them all together, because the Jacquard tie-dye kits contain good Procion fiber reactive dyes. It's only Rit all-purpose dye that must be washed separately.

After you have allowed the shirts you dyed with the Jacquard kit to sit for 24 hours, all of the dye molecules have fully reacted, either with the fabric or with the water. At that point, it is completely safe to dump everything in the washing machine together and wash them. I always wash them first in cool water, together, but you've already done this step by rinsing them individually in the sink. The nest step is to wash them all together in HOT water, 140°F or higher if possible. It often takes two hot-water washes to get all of the excess dye out.

Only hot water will remove the last bits of unattached excess dye. There is always excess dye to wash out, with this type of dye. Once you've gotten it all out, it is safe to wash the shirts at any temperature with even white clothing. If any dye transfer occurs between shirts at this point, hot water will wash it out.

If you wash your tie-dyes out after only four to six hours, some of the dye may still be active. At that point, it is not safe to wash different colors together. It is safe to wash all of the different colors together only after you have allowed plenty of time for all of the dye to react. In a room that is 70°F or warmer, twenty-four hours is plenty.

Source(s): After you have done your Tie Dying do you wash it? If so how?: http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/dyelog/B1063361308/C8... Washing instructions after tie-dyeing: http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/dyelog/B1063361308/C8... How to Tie Dye: http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/howtodye.shtml

Jacquard Tie Dye Instructions

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Yesterday I used a tie-dye kit (by Jacquard, if that's significant) to tie-dye five shirts. As instructed, I let them sit for 24 hours to let the dye set. I have removed the rubber bands and washed each shirt on its own in a basin of clean water to wash out any unabsorbed dye, as instruced....

Source(s): wash newly dyed tie dye shirts together: https://shortly.im/LXLgw
  • Kristi

Wash them separately for the 1st few times.

You could test it by rinsing them in the bathtub or something so that you can see if the colors run in the water. If the water runs clear, it might be safe to wash them all together.

Good luck!

Wash the dye item with the same color items for the 1st wash. After that just keep with the normal routine

If you already washed them, then it's fine.

But if you want to be safe, wash them again.

You'll be sorry if all you clothes get ruined :(

wash them with towels(unless you care about what they look like) ( i don't, but thats just me)

good luck

no. handwash them seperately a few times before doing it in the washer with other things

i would probably wash them separately to start

no wash by hand and use woolite