Open Marriage?

Do you believe in having in open marriage. Why or why not?

I personal don't believe in it but I do know people that do. One of them, it didn't work out.

Best Answer

I see a lot of the answers here talking about a lack of commitment to your spouse if you have an open marriage. I am committed to my spouse, he comes first, yet we have mutually decided to have an open, polyamorous relationship. For those of you who say it is impossible to love more than one person at a time, what do you say to people who have more than one child? If the human heart has the capacity to love multiple children without harming any of them, how can you logically say that is is then impossible for the human heart to have the capacity to romantically love more than one person? I am not saying it is for everyone, but don't stand in judgment of me because I am willing and able to open myself to love with more than one person.

I do believe in them, as I am in one. I will say though that it is not for everyone, actually very few marriages are strong enough and trusting enough to be able to. An open/swinger marriage only works if the couple (both of them) want it to, completely trust each other, are never jealous, can separate love and sex, love each other implicitly. If anyone is trying to save their marriage, this is not the answer. On the other hand, if you are one of those couples that can handle it, it can be a lot of fun.

Unfortunately, there are certain couples who have an open marriage for the benefits of being married, such as taxes, medical, dental benefits. But they don't want commitment so they live as if they are single. Over time however, this wears thin to some because the couple decides they have wasted time on a relationship lacking in trust and commitment. In other words, they want what a committed relationship offers, stability. Nowadays, if you live with a person for 7yrs, the law says that you have to split property and monies 50/50, so overall, better to get married for the right reasons, then settle for something that may turn out negatively for you later on. Open marriage is a selfish motivation because it totally lacks respect for both people.

Well, to each family their own.

If its going to be done it needs to be done for the right reasons. Trying to put the spark back in or keep the spice is not the right reason and will end up with everyone getting hurt.

Seeing other people but staying together because for whatever reason you cant/wont divorce (kids finances whatever) isnt really the right reason either.

It has to be something that everyone involved is comfortable with. It has to be something that everyone wants for themselves, not say me doing it because its his fantasy and its what he really wants and id rather not but want to make him happy kind of thing.

And it is better in my opinion to either use paid pro call girls or a relationship with another couple. That way there is no question as to whether someone is cheating or any of that.

Before you 'open up' so to speak, the couple needs to have several long converstations and agree upon rules if there are any so that there are no hurt feelings or confusion later.

I think it is okay so long as both parties agree with it and agree to ground rules. Here are some we have:

-No one spends the night.

-No one brings the 3rd person over.

-The spouce always comes first

- If someone is uncomfortable it stops.

I have read about this subject and some marriage counselors think it is okay. However, ever marriage is different so it all depends upon your situation.

• dragon

It flies in the face of rational thinking. Marriage is a commitment between two people to be faithful to each other. Why even bother to get married if that lifestyle is to be pursued? People that wish to live like that should just go out and do their thing and forget about getting married.

Personally, I don't. I think if two people are going to be married they need to be committed to each other and just each other. Anyhow, I think having all these other people in and out of the marriage is going to cause nothing but problems. Just my opinion.

• zax_fl

I have never heard of an open marriage surviving. Open the marriage and you will drift apart.

I'm all for people doing what amkes them happy. If that makes a couple happy then why not, who is the rest of the world to judge?

• Pat

I wouldn't be into it at all. I think there's too much potential for an unevenness or for jealousy / resentment.

Think what would happen if one person has some awesome new sex partner but the other person doesn't.