Is the Bible the "Word of God" or is it only inspired by God?

How accurate is it to call a book the "Word of God" when most clergymen admit that the majority of the Bible is not a direct dictation from God, but only the words of men who were inspired by God.

If every word in the Bible is not spoken directly from God, then isn't it a falsehood to call it "God's Word"? Why not just call it "Words inspired by God" and allow it to be an inspiration for people, instead of making it out to be a book of directions from God (which most of it is not)? By calling it the "Word of God", it has been given a whole lot more importance and authority than an "inspired" work probably should have been given. What are your feelings on this?

Favorite Answer

~Ahhh, an Inspired question~

I believe it to be inspired by God, as other Holy Texts have been.

I have to remember that Man has also touched it and we are not perfect by far.

So, when I do read it...I meditate on how it speaks to me.

All my answers are within...He promised never to leave me alone...so I dont need to take the Bible or any preacher too literally...they speak their Truth!

I have to go within and ask how does this relate to my life's purpose.

Brightest Blessings

Source(s): (No religion)

John 1:1-4 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men."

The King James Bible is the Word of the Living God. It correctly portrays life from the beginning until today and future. The prophets spoke and God says that He does nothing until He tells His prophets first.

The predictions of the prophets have all come true or are coming true. God tells you in His word what man has been like from the beginning and what man will do even in the latter days. Only God can tell the future. Not the devil nor his demons know anything more than what they have learned from God. Three times Christ told Satan "It Is Written" and three times Satan backed down. Even Satan knows the Word of God is powerful and true.

The reason God didn't simply dictate His word is because that wasn't the best way to communicate to you His truth, and His will for your life. Look at the books of the Bible. You'll find 66 books by 40 writers, each relaying their individual views and perspectives on specific topics and events. If God simply set a man down and told him what to write, you'd miss out on that man's unique perspective, and how he viewed the events and happenings through his own eyes. This technique adds credibility to God's word, because it's not just God telling someone what to say. If you can find many different men and women in the Bible who lived at different times, were eyewitness of certain events, and then see them all agree (even though they may each have their personal perspective), then you've given the reader a more reliable basis on which to believe. It's kind of like a bank robbery where there are 10 different witnesses as opposed to one. Would you have more confidence in getting at the truth if all 10 of the witnesses agreed on what happened and gave you the same story as you interviewed them seperately, or would you say that, because you have one witness that can dictate to you what happened that you feel more comfortable? God tells his story through people, and because of that, He needs to let them speak - not be puppets.

God has indeed given "dictation" though. Consider the Ten Commandments. They were dictated to Moses. If dictation is important to you, etch them onto your heart.

With regard to all the heart burn over the King James translation - does the lifestyle or personal beliefs and behavior of James really matter with regard to the KJV of the Bible? That's like saying we shouldn't read or take seriously any book of antiquity until we research and evaluate the lifestyles of those that wrote them. Should we dismiss Homer and his works because he happened to enjoy red wine as opposed to white? Should we dismiss the writers of the Constitution because some of them may have been given to drinking too much, or to smoking cigars? How does ones lifestyle necessarily negate the work he or she does on a particular thing? Besides, the KJV of the Bible is a translation that was done by others, not James. He didn't write it, but merely commissioned it. Let's not get too crazy here by implying that he had more to do with the translation than he did.

The words Jesus spoke are the only word of God, within the bible. along with the words of his witness John.

Be careful when you say inspired by "God" for ye have also called the serpent God.

The origin true word of God, has been clarified by Jesus. the true Word of God comes from God the "Father".

Lord God, the Lord, the LORD, are false. The Word of God, the "Father" or LORD God are the true words of God.

"The word of God" is the true bread from heaven, search the scriptures for "the word of God" just as is shown here, (word of God) it is found only 3 times in the OT,

READ WHAT THEY SAY

1 Sam 9:29, 1 Kings 12:22, 1 Chronicales 17:3

The Bible is a store house of wisdom. No other book in this world could provide so much of wisdom on almost all phases of life.

To your question I would say the Bible is the "Word of God" that God inspired men to pen down.

http://bibleinsightsfortechies.blogspot.com - HTH

It is inspired, and perhaps maybe it was even once a direct word of God.. but thanks to editing (purposely and accidently), translation issues, books being left out.. it is no longer an accurate word of God. And a lot of institutions/churches don't inform people of this.

They probably thinking they're doing the right thing. As it is, faith and church attendance is at an all time low.. If you were the pope or a church leader, would you give people more reason to not believe?

Also, if most people really wanted to know the truth, they could just look. There is plenty of evidence (and by evidence, I mean actual facts) of how much the bible has been changed.

Edit: I just wanted to add this.. Did you know that there are over 200 gospels? But only 4 were included, even tho they were all written for the bible. Kind of makes you wonder what else is out there that wasn't included, doesn't it? Oh, and I believe a lot of those gospels are available for anyone to read, if you just look for them.

• Jo

The doctrine that the Bible was written by the influence of God. It is, therefore, without error. It is accurate and authoritatively represents God's teachings (2 Tim. 3:16). As such it is a revelation from God which implies direct knowledge about God, creation, man, salvation, the future, etc. It is an illumination in that it shows us what we could not know apart from it.

One of the ways to prove that the Bible is inspired is to examine the O.T. prophecies fulfilled in the N.T. concerning Jesus (Luke 24:27-45). Because the Bible is inspired, its words are unbreakable (John 10:34-36), eternal (Matt. 24:35), trustworthy (Psalm 119:160), and able to pierce the heart of man (Heb. 4:12). Additionally, the inspired Word of God will not go forth without accomplishing what God wishes it to (Isaiah 55:11).

The term "bible" is best known in reference to the Christian Scriptures consisting of the both the Old and New Testaments. The word comes from the Greek, biblos, meaning "book."

I read an argument once regarding the difference between insipiration and dictation. I apologize but I cannot remember the two authors (I will search for them if you are interested). The discussion from the first author centered around God's Word appearing as white light. God architects a building (church, man) and as His light shines through the stained glass windows it is still light but it is changed because now it has color. He suggests something is lost because white light contains all color and the light coming through is only one or a few colors. The second author counters that when God designed the building, He picked the color of the windows.

From this I get that God is in control regardless of whether He was able to dictate word for word, or to inspire. Ultimately, He planned what would be said and has managed to protect it from alteration for thousands of years. (comparisons to the earliest known copies confirm this) To me the semantics man ascribes to its inspiration are unimportant and the message should be that it is of God.

*Edit: I find it curious the interest in books not included in the Holy Bible. What if we were to accept every book , essay, etc ever written about science as fact and study them even if they were contradicting, erroneous, or obviously not scientific. If every author who claimed inspiration were truly inspired we would not be warned of false prophets. God teaches us through His Word how to discern between His voice and the voice of others. It is through this discernment that He protected His Word. That is not to say that every inspired thing ever written is included, but they are not intended to be part of the Bible.

What I would like to see is all the books that were NOT included in the bible.

Not all of it is the word of God. Many stories were once passed on orally until some scribes wrote the stories down.

Does it really matter if we know the exact words God actually said to someone, if a close approximate, as passed down through the years as long as the meaning and lesson still holds the most importance?

Because by saying it is the word of God it has allowed others to use it to control those they wanted to control. Religion is a man-made institution trying to explain all things spiritual, whereas spirituality is a direct connection with the universe and/or God. So, all religious writings are inspired.

The Bible is the word of God. God would not allow His gospel to be changed according to man's point of view. Jesus said "Heaven and earth shall pass away but my words shall not pass away"Every single word in the Holy Bible is truth given to us by God.