Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

If Christianity is such a "stupid" religion why didn't it disappear in 2000 years?

A cannot think of another religion that was more attacked in the history of the earth.It is obvious that Christianity is a true religion. So I beg all the atheists around the world to think about this question.

Update:

The point was "why didn't it disappear in 2000 years" while "being the most attacked religion". Some people lack simple logic or are willingly ignorant as the bible teaches us.

Update 2:

I am a Christian but my question may sound like coming from an atheist just to prove that atheist don't like to admit the truth.

Update 3:

If you don't believe that Christianity is the most attacked religion in the world just look at this web site. There are thousand of Q&A that mock Jesus Christ, God and the moral principles. I don't see anybody making fun of paganism,atheism or other beliefs.

63 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Great point. If it wasn't of God it would be an ancient memory. It is of God and peoples lives are still being changed 2000 years later. Praise the Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

a little history lesson. christianity has been around 2000 years but it is based off of the religion of the jews. so if you want to be particular about it, beliefs we hold as christians are much older than 2000 years. i don't think that what i am saying would be too popular, but if you believe that the old testament is as valid as the new testament; if you have an understanding of how christians believe that jesus is the true sacrifice that was foreshadowed by the sacrifices in the old testament; then you should understand that it is unfortunate that there is a split between christians and those who are jews. we have the same reasons for belief yet disagree on the most important issue which is jesus christ.

this could be a long discussion and i'm missing a lot of details but this isn't a forum for discussion.

uneducated questions bother me but i understand what you are trying to say.

• 1 decade ago

Read history, friend. The Emperor Constantine decided that a certain form of Christianity should be the State religion of the Roman Empire (like the Indian Emporer Ashoka decided that Buddhism would be the State religion of India in about 500 or so BCE) All other forms of religion were outlawed and it stayed that way for several hundred years. Although threatening to many Christians, we now again live in a multicultural society that tolerates a wider range of beliefs than was allowed for hundreds of years.

• 4 years ago

Jesus lived as a pacifists and he taught non-violence - that we are to pray for our enemies and return evil with good; therefore violence does not belong to true spiritual Christianity. When the simple faith life-style that the Holy Spirit brought into being became formalized religion, plus drawing in some pagan ways and ideas into the church, the active Spirit of Christ left the organized church. But even in a corrupted church system there are still true believers and followers of Jesus, these people become the true and mostly hidden Church in times of apostasy. Many churches now have lost the active power of the Holy Spirit and/or have assumed non-Biblical beliefs. Christianity has been non violent for a long time but so-called Christians do not always follow the way of love and non-resistance in personal relationships as taught by Christ. There are times when Christians should shout with a loud voice - perhaps allegorically speaking - against injustice and the governments strategy to remove godly laws from the statute books, the removal of which are having terrible consequences for the moral and family standards of society, which are disintegrating along with with the widespread weakening of honesty and integrity.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I have three answers: Politics, fanaticism, and gullibility.

1. Politics: Constantine made sure that Christianity didn't disappear when he compiled the books of the Bible

(many from the SAME time didn't get the cut) in the 3rd century a.d. and used it as political propaganda in the late Roman Empire to get back at his opponents. Did you know that after that the government banned other religions and pagans were murdered, crucified, and fed to lions in the same way that the early Christians were? Since then, there have been theocratic Christian governments in place for well over a thousand years, until secular ideas came about in the past few centuries.

2. Fanaticism. From the Inquisition to Savonarola's Bonfire of the Vanities (a huge destruction of "pagan" art in Italy and priceless classical art), there have always been violent revolutions in this religion that require conversion or try to convert others. Many Catholics for instance are in Latin America or Africa - this is due to the fact that churches financed missions to those places. Many are in operation today, though they no longer kill natives (as the Spanish Conquistadors once did, for instance)

3. Gullibility: Children are susceptible to the views of their parents. Parents teach children their religion. Most adults follow the religion of their parents. It is not surprising to see how religion continues down the centuries, like culture.

Stupid things can last for eons. Such as violence - that doesn't necessarily give it a lot of importance.

By the way, I beg you to think about my response. Most people want to feel insulated and confident about their beliefs - they will just pass my response over.

Source(s): atheist
  • 1 decade ago

Do you honestly think Christianity has been attacked less than Judaism has?

Christianity is dying, and has been for some time. Today, there are less adherants today than there ever has been, you can easily look the statistics up online.

As a former pastor and seminary student, I can tell you that when I was in seminary, only 22% of american attended a church service SEMI-WEEKLY. Half a century ago, most americans went to church, now on Sunday mornings, most of your block doesn't even get out of the house on Sunday Mornings before noon. Look out your window.

A religion dies similar to an old obsolete language. Its decline is gradual and can only be viewed over a long period of time. Look at christianity in america 200 years ago, and compare it to now. Christianity is dying...

• 1 decade ago

Christianity didn't begin 2000 years ago. It is pluriform monotheism which has existed for at least 4000 years. Jesus Christ is in no way original. The pharoah was given all the same attributes as Jesus Christ. That is why the Jews left Egypt. Ever wonder who the god Amen was? Why do you think you say amen?

• 1 decade ago

For over a thousand years, it was one and the same as the political powers of the western world. Those who protested died. If they hadn't been killed, there might be more of an opposing voice and more different religions still in practice. By this time now, after it being literally forced upon ignorant and fearful peasants, it is totally institutionalized and accepted. There, now you have the real truth from an atheist.

• cosmo
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Oh come on! The religion of Ancient Egypt was around for over 3000 years and then died out. There are several major religions that are older than Christianity---does that make them true?

And if you think that Christians are the most persecuted people in history, there's a great deal more history you need to learn.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The reason why Chrisitianity survived was because of the Romans. Had the Romans been destroyed, Christianity would've long gone

If you haven't known, Christianity has been one of the most violent and turbulent sects in history. The Spaniards in Mexico and Peru baptised the local children as young as five and immediately after dashed their brains out. In the name of what? Christianity. Your lack of knowledge about the history of your own religion shows that the ignorant one is in fact you.

• Kent S
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

The Knights Templar pretty much killed all those who had problems with christianity, which put fear into anyone else who would come to oppose it. You are so blind to the truth why don't you study up The Knights Templar. You will be very surprised too see what these so called christians are doing in the name of god.

Edit:

I see your point thousands of people attacking christianity, in a world of 6.4 billion, christianity is being attacked on a mass scale. I feel so bad for those christians.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.