Christians, another serious question regarding prayer?

I thought I'd ask some real questions for once :o)

When you pray and ask for guidance, help or something you need, how does god answer you? Meaning does he give you a sign? A literal answer you can hear or feel? Or does the answer just sort of show up as in your prayer request gets granted?

How do you know that the answer came from god and not just from circumstances that would have resulted in the same outcome with or without prayer?

lol Lord, I know it's rare, but it really *is* a serious question and I'll give BA to a christian who answers it honestly :o)

• Amelie
    Favorite Answer

Most of the time I get answers when I read the Bible. Sometimes it's so direct, it takes my breath away.

Here is one example from many in the bible that may help.

Matthew 21:22 "And all things , whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ya shall receive".

Notice it does not say if its gods will or something like that. gods will is always that you prosper and be in health. Anything you ask is ok if it is not more important than god to you.

Note the word believing. That is the key. Believing is an action in the brain. It is like a light switch. Either it is on or it is off. When praying for something you must believe 100% that you will receive what you ask for.

Many times we pray for something and then if it does not happen quickly we pray for it again. That only shows that we did not believe that we would receive it the first time. That is a major reason why we don't get what we pray for. you must believe 100% and then go about your life as if it has already happened. when it does just thank god.

There are only two exceptions where it does not work.

1. The thing you are asking for is more important to you than god is.

2. you are praying for something that would change someone else. We all have a freedom of will that god gave us. If you pray for someone to change and the other person does not want to change you are wasting your time. God won't make someone change if the person does not want to change. that would be taking away our freedom of will.

If you are praying for a change in someone and that person also wants that change then the prayer will help.

Hope this is helpful.

That's where faith comes in.

I have on several distinct occasions prayed for guidance or help out a particular situation. In each time, I know that the outcome was NOT coincidence.

God hears the prayers of the righteous (BELIEVERS). You must already have faith to know God will hear your prayer and give you some sort of answer (no, not yet, yes). If you pray for guidance, the answer may come in many forms...say you are torn between taking a new job that is away from your current home, family and friends, and a job that is close by. You have weighed the pros and cons of each and still can't decide. In most cases, a third alternative will reveal itself. Things like that.

Say you have a close relative who has been diagnosed with some form of terminal cancer. You know this person to be faithful and you love them dearly, and do not want them to be taken just yet. Then a few days later, you are told that their cancer went into spontaneous remission. Absolutely nobody can understand or find out why it happened, it just happened.. ..a 'miracle' so to speak. Would it have happened without prayer, we do not know. Maybe it as God's plan not to take them at that time.

Prayers to God are always heard by the faithful. If you have no faith, do not expect your prayers to be answered. That's how it works. I know you have questions but sometimes you just have to commit to God and have faith.

The Impact of Prayer

READ | John 17:20-26

God has complete authority over all people and events. He knows the hearts of men, how they will act, and what steps to take to accomplish His purposes. At the same time, He calls us to pray. Colossians 4:2 says we should be devoted to prayer. In fact, communication with God is so important… we're told to pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17)

Continuous listening, talking, and relating to our heavenly Father should characterize our lives. Scripture outlines three reasons why this is so important. First, Prayer changes us. When we seek God's face and spend time in His Word, we will be transformed. Our desires will be replaced by His. And, our thinking will line up more closely with His thoughts. As our understanding of His character grows, we will have a better idea of how to pray according to His will.

Second, God answers prayer (James 5:16). God has promised to listen and respond to the prayers of His children (Isaiah 65:24). He promises to act when our petitions are in Jesus' name—that is, matching His will and His timing (John 14:13)

Third, prayer invites God to act. It doesn't alter any of God's divine purposes or plans. And, prayer doesn't cause Him to change His mind. What He has decided will occur, and His decisions will be exactly the right ones to accomplish His will. But our prayers are powerful when we sincerely invite God to do His work in our lives and the lives of others.

What impact does prayer have? It allows an inadequate people to connect with an all-sufficient God. Hallelujah!

Source(s): Intouch Ministry

I've experience several "phenomena" in my personal life...primarily that which I have prayed for comes to pass...although not generally in the time period, nor in the manner I had hoped...some people claim to see "a vision"...others simply get a "feeling"...

I can tell you from direct experience how to know it is from the divine and not just a matter of circumstance...and I highly doubt that you will believe it...I've given the last dime I had to my name to strangers in need...without a second thought...then told that person to thank God and not me...and I've gotten back a whole lot more than I gave within hours...there are other instances...

Prayers that are selfish in nature do not get answered in any manner...otherwise there would be a lot more people winning the lottery...prayer for healing don't generally get answered...prayer for someone to die don't generally get answered...

What does get answered is prayer that starts out with being grateful for what you have...being thankful for the life you have been given...and asking for help in something you know you cannot accomplish on your own...

Source(s): EDIT***Lord of the Rings...did your mommy wipe your nose this morning??? EDIT>>>EDIT*** Lord of the Rings...I don't have a mommy...but I did tell your mommy she should have gone through with that sex change...your father is getting tired of being on his knees... The really funny thing here is that if you were standing in front of me in person...you wouldn't be talking any garbage...typical "net hero"...

For Christmas a couple years ago, my oldest boy asked me to write out the Lords Prayer in Ukrainian - actually, in the English language approximation of Ukrainian sounds, but you get the idea.. He needn't have bothered because God speaks both languages, and He's already heard that prayer before. But the little bubba did that to honor his Grandmother, my Mom. She also didn't technically need the translation since she's a polyglot, and has heard it before as well.. The whole point of him making that tape was to honor her, the same way I try to honor members of the eternal Church when I pray in Latin. In the same way, you would honor memories of your father by doing those prayers in Latin. Language matters, even if these dim-bulbs here are too dumb to figure it out.

A Blessing

The man whispered,

"God, speak to me"

and a meadowlark sang.

But, the man did not hear.

So the man yelled,

"God, speak to me"

and the thunder rolled across the sky.

But, the man did not listen.

The man looked around and said,

"God let me see you."

And a star shined brightly.

But the man did not see.

And, the man shouted,

"God show me a miracle."

And, a life was born.

But, the man did not notice.

So, the man cried out in despair,

"Touch me God, and let me know you are here."

Whereupon, God reached down and touched the man.

But, the man brushed the butterfly away ...

and walked on.

I found this to be a great reminder that God is always around us in the little and simple things that we take for granted. Don't miss out on a blessing because it isn't packaged the way that you expect.

~author unknown to me

http://groups.google.com.au/group/church-of-crackp...

Ha haaaa! April Fools! You asked a serious question to the Christians in R&S... I know you aren't expecting any serious answers. You can't put one over on me that easily! LOL!

Edit: Psycho Warning: No, but your mother did have to wipe HER nose when I was done this morning... and wash her hair. You may want to get another toothbrush too.