tanning bed : lay down or stand up?

okay so last year when i went tanning for a month. the frist 2 weeks i was in the lay down bed, and the last two i changed to a stand up. i found that when i went in the stand up i actaully got burnt and it seemed like it made me get tanner faster.

BUT the day i switched to the stand up i ALSO switched lotions from a cheap one i had to a nice body blush one from the salon..so i was thinking that could be the reason.

do you find any difference between the two? does one work better?

and you can keep your "omg your going to be old a wrinkly comments when your 30" to yourself. i go tanning 1 month a year, chill out.

hey trey, why don't you learn how to read before you lecture me on cancer.

Favorite Answer

Stand up ones are usually better, and also that 'trey..' person she specifically said dont moan about how bad they are yet u go and do it anyway!

Stand Up Tanning Bed

I think it really depends on how and when they have replaced the bulbs, the only reason to do stand up is so you can tan places like under your arms, that a lie down wouldn't normally get to. Ask your tanning salon which bed has the newest bulbs. Also there are different levels, of lie downs a bronzer isn't as strong as some of the high pressure beds.

You won't be old and wrinkled if you cover your face! haha

• ?????

They might have recently changed the bulbs and thats why in the stand up you got a better tan. Stand ups are better for a more even tan and also if you are heavy. Sometimes the lay down beds don't tan the sides of heavier people.

Both work for me. I think its personal choice. However the newer the bulbs the better the bed works. They also warn you about the bulbs being replaced so you don't burn.

Stand up booths usually are medium pressure which means they have both UVB and UVA rays. Maybe the lay down bed had less tanning rays.

It does concern me that you burnt though...there is a big difference between tanning and burning! Burning is damage whereas tanning is a gradual buildup of melanin. If you burn, your tan won't last as long since it is mostly on the top layer.

Stand up beds work better for a lot of people because you tend to get more of an even tan. It is easier to navigate. It could have also been from a change in lotion, but I think it probably had more to do with the bed.

Stand up beds are much more hygienic and tan the bits you wont necessarily tan on a lie down bed! x

tanning booths though not as popular as beds produce a better tan because tanning requires oxygen. the air circulates around your body better in a booth. there are also two different types of units. uva and uvb. uva is the browning ray, while uvb is the burning ray. alot of booths(even those included in basic memberships) now days have at least some uva rays. this could be a possible reason you got better color. i also believe your lotion had something to do with it. body blush oxygenates the skin to produce better color. believe it was a combo of all.

Source(s): my best friend owns a tanning salon and i practically live there and i've been tanning for 10 years myself.

it is probably just the lotion...

if the bed (or in this case stand up thing) was stronger or made you tan faster they would have had a lower time limit and would have warned you so you would have known..

that's what they told me where i go (i also go 1 month out of the year!!)

Lay down or stand up are generally the same. The Stand-up is more effective for melanoma I believe. Go 25 minutes..it will bring on the cancer faster. Cheers!

I don't have the patient to stay there 1 more minute, plus who want to lay in that sweat. So yea the 15 minute stand up.