Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 1 decade ago

What does Cosi Fan Tutte actually mean?

Many people translate Mozart's comic Opera, Cosi Fan Tutte, into "Such are all women" or "They are like that" but that can't be right. If anyone here speaks or understands Italian, what does it actually mean?? Please tell me cause I am playing in it at my Conservatory

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Così fan tutte, ossia La scuola degli amanti (Thus Do They All, or The School For Lovers) K. 588, is an opera buffa by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. The libretto was written by Lorenzo da Ponte.

Così is one of the three Mozart operas for which da Ponte wrote the libretto. (The title is often shortened to Così in the English-speaking world.) The other two da Ponte-Mozart collaborations were Le nozze di Figaro and Don Giovanni.

Così was written and composed at the suggestion of the Emperor Joseph II. The libretto was originally intended to be set to music by Mozart's contemporary Antonio Salieri but Salieri only completed parts of the first act and then broke off work on the opera.

The title, Così fan tutte, literally means "Thus do all [women]" but it is often translated as "Women are like that". The words are sung by the three men in Act II, Scene xiii, just before the finale. Da Ponte had used the line "Così fan tutte le belle" earlier in Le nozze di Figaro (in Act I, Scene vii).

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Cosi Fan Tutte Meaning

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Cosi Fan Tutte Translation

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

I'd go with Madam Butterfly. The story and the music unfold in a very direct way. It's full of big emotions, and big tunes. You should leave feeling that you've understood the story and the characters, and, given that this is one of the most popular operas ever written, that you've had a "core" operatic experience. None of this is to say that Cosi isn't a great opera--but IMHO......

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

cosi fan tutte is actually a novel by michael dibdin

• 4 years ago

I had a prof in college who translated it "Yeah, they all do that."

And the Dibdin book is Cosi Fan Tutti with an "I"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.